Chocolate Cake! By Zorn

(mary6aros) #21

As a mom that looves hiding veggies…you need to tell more…
EDIT, I just googled it. :scream::eyes::drooling_face:, Wow

(Candy Lind) #22

@Brenda, did you cut the 9x9 cake in half to make the 2 layers, or make 2? Did you need more than the one recipe of frosting? Do you think there’s too much batter there to fit in an 8x8 pan? I don’t think I have a 9x9 … :worried:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #23

Yes. Frosted, lifted half out, stacked. Lol.

Nooooooooooo.

Nope. My baking dish was actually an old Pyrex dish that was 7 in by 9 and 1/2 in and it was perfect.

(mary6aros) #24

Would this be all right to make with just almond flour? Or does the coconut flour make it seem more “cakey?”

(John B) #25

Made this cake on Sunday, and it was a huge success! I used a round spring-form pan, about 9 inches in diameter, so it only made one small layer, about 1 inch tall, but it and the frosting was fantastic. I’ve been looking for a chocolate cake recipe for my wife, who adores chocolate, and this is it. Very moist, and I cut it into 8 equal pieces, for about 3.375g of carbs a piece.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #26

I actually don’t know. Try it and report back!

(mary6aros) #27

Lol, exactly what I did today! While it was
de-licious, it was not cake-like. I think I had too much zucchini, which made it too moist. I will go to the store in the AM, and I’ll tweak it a bit.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #28

yeah. I should be more specific. The zucchini is measured loose in the cup, not packed. One other cake cook did this too.

(Rodney K Merrell Belinda J Wilder) #29

Can someone tell the the number of servings and calorie count on this heaven sent recipe?

(Brian) #30

Almond flour and coconut flour are not really interchangeable, one for one. Coconut flour soaks up a LOT more liquid than almond flour would so it would kinda mess with the liquid ratios in the cake. That said, the coconut flour (or the almond flour, for that matter), is not a dominating ingredient in this cake recipe, the zucchini is. So it may not have as big of an impact as it would if it were basically only almond flour and coconut flour as pretty much the only ingredients.

Maybe one of the bakers out there would have an idea of how to adjust the other ingredients so as to not end up with something too wet or too dry. (?) I’d be interested to know myself.

:slight_smile:

(mary6aros) #31

I learned this, indeed. Since I was making a cake for the kiddos, I found some baking blend of garbanzo beans, potato starch, and other stuff. Doesn’t do well as well, though they said it was good, I pinched a taste and it was like eating raw beans. :nauseated_face: I think I’ll just drive the 45 minutes to Walmart and get the proper items for next time, which will be here shortly, so I’ll get lots of practice.
Do wish I understood “kitchen science” more, though.

(Brian) #32

Me, too!

:slight_smile:

(Troy) #33

What do you think about making this with out the swerve?
more of a bread then…I’m still ok w that!!

Just hard to stomach swerve or erythitol

If not, maybe sweet leaf stevia powder or drops?

Thanks

(Tammy Kidd) #34

You can use any sweetener of your choice. I would taste the batter to get the right flavor. My experience with stevia and baking has always been a bitter after taste.

(Troy) #35

I will give it a try
:blush: Thank You

(Candy Lind) #36

Here’s what I got when plugging it in to Cronometer. I figure if I eat a quarter of it, it’s 100 calories less than the big ol’ hunks of chocolate fudge cake I used to buy at the grocery store, and a Hell of a lot better for me.

(Kevin M.) #37

@Brenda can answer that…

(Candy Lind) #38

@mary6aros & @Bellyman were discussing almond flour substitutes. I found this post and I’ve seen other recipes that use coconut flour mixed with ground flaxseed or psyllium husk. You might want to look at KetoConnect and look at their baked goods for ideas, because Megha is allergic to tree nuts and they’re doing more with coconut flour. I saw several other links for almond flour alternatives. GIYF! :innocent: (Google is your friend)

(Brian) #39

I hadn’t realized Megan had issues with tree nuts. Interesting.

It’s likely controversial but I heard someone on YouTube saying that almonds aren’t the best nuts to be eating if estrogen is something you’re wanting to lessen the production of. I don’t know how much truth there is in that but I do find that I like coconut flour. Same guy wasn’t so enamored with flax either.

It’s hard to know what to believe sometimes.

(Candy Lind) #40

It’s also high in phytoestrogens. As is soy.