Carnivore info please

(Scott) #112

One thing is for sure, I haven’t had a two minute warning during my morning running since giving up fiber. I will put that in the plus column for carnivore.

(Scott) #113

Have a silly question . I cooked two hamburger patties for supper . It was fine but used to eating with cheese and sugar free ketchup and without it’s a litte bit dry. In Canada it’s actually illegal to serve it rare or medium
Rare . Basically no pink . So any tricks with regards to sauce or making not so dry. Used medium ground beef cooked to 165. Steak if fine just salt and pepper

(Ethan) #114

Fattier beef. Use 73/27, not 85/15.

(Scott) #115

All I can get is medium ground beef and they are all no more tan 23% fat unless butcher but to expensive

(Edith) #116

You can use extra beef fat either through trimmings or suet, chop it up, and add it to your ground beef. Then I serve the burger with the rendered fat poured on top like a sauce.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #117

@macscott

Walmart’s Our Finest Sirloin Beef Burgers:

If you don’t want butter or cheese, cook sous vide. It will retain all the juices.

(Scott) #118

Thanks I’m trying to stay away from cheese . It’s a weeknas

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #119

How about an ‘Egg Bacon Burger’ sunnyside up? This was cooked in a microwave but could be cooked stovetop or toaster oven just as well. I used tamari sauce, but you could skip that.

(Scott) #120

I like them medium rare with blue cheese on top. I get mayo on the side and dip the fork in the mayo before each bite…you asked.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #121

If your high-blood pressure is salt-sensitive, then you should be careful not to exceed the healthy range of sodium intake, which is 4-6 grams/day (10-15 g of sodium chloride, or 2-3 U.S. teaspoons). The healthy intake range is the same for everyone, but the risk curve rises more steeply above the healthy range, than it does for people who are not salt-sensitive hypertensives. Only a minority of cases of hypertension are salt-sensitve, or so I understand, and those with high blood pressure that is not salt-sensitive have the same risk curve as the normotensive population.

High insulin can interfere with the regulation of blood pressure by interfering with the production of nitric oxide (NO), which the body uses to relax the arteries and lower blood pressure. The arteries thus become stiff and blood pressure rises. Thus, a ketogenic diet, by lowering serum insulin, helps promote normal blood pressure.

(Steve) #122

Great conversation here . I have a question about the meats and fat . I don’t like a lot of fatty meat except bacon . I like chicken breast but not thighs , when I eat steak I usually buy a beef tenderloin and cut it up myself and it’s lean . I do eat fattier ground beef and not a seafood person . I read about adding coconut oil or ghee or butter with leaner meats but do I need to add these if looking to lose a bunch of weight , Also heard people are having gut issues with these

(Ethan) #123

I think Ted Naiman says a 3:1 protein:fat ratio by gram can be for short term weight loss. That said, you may find you start liking fatty meat after a while

(Alex) #124

Cooking method can make a difference. If they’re pre-made then wrapping them in foil and baking them for 25mins at 160C (320F?) means they sit in their juices rather than drain onto the tray.

If you’re making them yourself, I make 1/2lb patties but with the same diameter as quarterpounders so they’re quite rounded, cook them at 160C for 25 minutes (don’t need to wrap them in foil if they’re very thick), and then let them cool for 5 minutes before slicing them in half to eat. Always steaming and juicy in the middle that way.

However you cook them, you can save the juices/liquid fat to combine with an egg yolk to make a tasty sauce. Just whisk up an egg yolk in a bowl or jug and then keep stirring while you slowlly pour in the fat and it should thicken. Then pour over the burgers to eat. This works with any meat e.g. steak sauce, pork sauce, chicken sauce etc.

Or if you eat butter like I do, add a liberal layer of butter to the burger like you would cheese. This works better if the burger has been cooling for 5 or 10 minutes.

(Alex) #125

On zc your energy source is fat as carbohydrate amounts are negligible, so you do need to get enough fat to fuel your body. However it seems many long term carnivores thrive on just fattier cuts of steak and ground beef and bacon, without adding much extra fat.

If you like bacon and fattier ground beef, that’s great :slight_smile: I would start with at least 1.5-2lb of beef and add bacon to satiety. If you love chicken breast, have it with 1/2lb bacon. Having the occasional beef tenderloin isn’t likely to do you any harm as long as you also have some fat that day. And having some lower fat days is fine too. It seems common for people to develop the ability to listen to their body regarding what meat it’s craving that day.

As Ethan mentions, you might find your taste for fatty meat changes. But if it doesn’t, Kelly Hogan is still going strong eating ground beef every day for more than a decade!

(Scott) #126

I used to go for the filet mignon because I was brain washed into thinking fat is bad. Now the ribeye is my favorite and yes I eat all the fat. I also put about five pats of butter on it when it comes off the grill to rest. It makes a great lunch tjhe next day served cold with lots of salt.

(Elizabeth ) #127

If you’re cooking it yourself just start making it a little rarer each time.I actually like mine seared on the outside and cold and red in the middle. Cook up a mess of bacon and eat them with the bacon fat

(Steve) #128

Thanks so much different info out there on all these subjects

(Edith) #129

When I first started keto, I never ate the fat on the steak. I ate chicken breast because that was the healthier option. Now, when I eat a ribeye, I think the fat is the best part. I never thought I would say that. I actually never really liked breast meat for chicken because it was too dry. Thighs are much tastier.

If I cook up a leaner steak, I throw a few chunks of suet in the pan to melt and I cook the steak in that. Then I pour the extra fat over the meat. @Alexaar, I will have to try that egg yolk suggestion.

My taste buds have definitely changed over the years.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #130

Fat is not magic, it is merely the one type of macronutrient that stimulates the least insulin secretion. We need a certain level of insulin in order to survive, but too much insulin in our blood causes damage, as well as trapping fat in our fat tissue. We avoid carbohydrate because it stimulates insulin the most. You will probably find it helpful to eat enough protein and fat to satisfy your hunger, while keeping carbohydrate intake low. Deliberately restricting calories is risky, because when our body doesn’t get enough food, it wants to hang on to our fat.

(Alex) #131

I miss the egg yolk sauce! Just make sure the fat is liquid/juices are warm, but not so hot they scramble the egg - it’s a bit of a goldilocks situation but after a couple of times it’s easy to judge :slight_smile:

Edit: This method can also be used to make a dipping sauce for bacon using the grease. You are welcome.