Can we have an "off topic" forum?/"The Great Off-Topic Thread"

(CharleyD) #41

I’m tempted to go ahead and rename this one to ‘The Great Off-Topic Thread’… :innocent: since we’re all here already, heh.

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #42

It’s my understanding this was a failed experiment in the past.

But here’s a further suggestion - and only that.

I was a member of another low carb forum where there was a secret hidden " playground’" but you had to be a member for so many days and have so many posts before you could even see the playground up here. And it was a very off topic section in general. And perhaps this is maybe a solution but maybe not. Like I said it’s not my forum not my monkeys, not my circus. Not going to push it don’t want to cause any conflicts here but just possibly another way to consider who would have access to that kind of area.

(hottie turned hag) #43

Do it and call it Hog and Bull Tavern in the title too just to make me happy :grin:

I’ll start with an off topic post:
I’m way disappointed in the decline in quality of the show “Black Mirror”; since aligning itself with Netflix the episodes have gotten way worse and so mainstream stupid. With the exception of Shut Up and Dance, Nosedive, Crocodile, and USS Callister, everything after the post season 2 Christmas special White Christmas which was brilliant, has sucked rancid moronic ass.
They even hired MILEY CYRUS :nauseated_face::face_vomiting::woozy_face: for a season 5 episode. I was having a seizure trying to watch it. It was frighteningly horrible.

I saw this coming when folks were raving about that sappy, zero characterization, zero plot, feel-good San Junipero. I knew the end was near.

Best episodes in descending order:
15 Million Merits
The Entire History of You
White Bear
White Christmas
Be Right Back

(CharleyD) #44

I’m only tempted. As @PaulL said there’s already plenty of off-topic threads out there.

I wish I could join in with them all but work has become very time consuming of late and I get just a few minutes here and there to sneak a quick peek at what’s going on.

And then once a thread gets 100+ replies that I’ve missed it’s almost like it’s become too popular and I can’t afford the time to keep current!

(hottie turned hag) #45

Ack I’d rename it but am too chicken. Maybe someone bolder shall?

(Boots on? Balls to the wall? Good start.) #46

I’m all for civility but not where it comes at the expense of conviviality.

(I'm that bad type, make your mama sad type) #47

@BlueViolet SOOOOOO agree. Season 5, if you even want to call it that, has been dreadful. The 1st episode was ok, 2nd was just pointless, and the 3rd, I havent finished the last 10 minutes of it. I was hella disappointed with it.

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #48

ACK is the airport code for Nantucket. I know as I was there for 3 years.
Love those stickers in can get on my car. Would love them more if they were all magnet

(Bunny) #49

Hat tip to the software engineers who designed these types of forums they are so easy to use and better than anything I have ever seen!

Minds wander at the “Hog and Bull Tavern,” we sit behind the long, heavy-duty bar, stare into our virgin or spiked soda water (because keto :wink: ) and a conversation starts with our neighbor :wink: Black Mirror is on my “to watch” list, so is Stranger Things…I’m so behind on all these shows…
I did watch a few interesting documentaries on Netflix about bodybuilders, strongmen, cross-fit, etc and that led me to a JRE episode with Dorian Yates. It was very interesting, he also mentioned oxidative stress and the damage it can cause to cells during those heavy oxygen-demanding cardio sessions. Very interesting stuff, it really amazes me how much gray there is in our bodies, nothing is black and white, things that seem beneficial can also cause the exact opposite…

(hottie turned hag) #51

If you WANT to get really homicidal and enraged watch the rest of the 3rd episode. I KEPT WATCHING because I thought surely this is going to change drastically at some point…and morph into something else…surely this can’t, CAN’T be all it is…
#denialthendespair

(hottie turned hag) #52

@Jill_Carpenter I kinda love you for using the word “spinster”
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I see you’re in FL; I lived in Broward and Palm Beach counties from 1978-2001. HATED every minute of it except Key West to which I escaped as many times as I could :desert_island: It used to take me 15 minutes not joking to get from the gate of my gated community (ew but my husband was into it) to the Publix I COULD SEE FROM WHERE I WAS SITTING at the light, as the light had to change 3 or 4 times before I could turn.

I’ve lived in 3 states since then and 5 total (NY, FL, VA, NC -also HAAAATED, almost as bad as FL for different reasons) and am now in IN and freaking adore it and wonder why I never knew how kickass the Midwest was decades ago :yellow_heart:

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #53

I grew up in upstate NY, lived in Connecticut for 20 years, was back way upstate a year, went to Nantucket, then Vermont, then back to Nantucket, then back to CT and NY, and back to Nantucket.
Then my folks were ill and have both passed, but they lived down here in Florida, and my mom was from here so I have some family around but don’t really hang with them.

I lived in Minnesota for about 6 months, and have been to Indiana - too cold for me.

I have a sweet studio here on the beach. They will likely have to pry my dead body out to make me leave. :rofl:

(CharleyD) #54

You got your wish :grin:

My offering is thus:

I’m considering a new email signature in the spirit of Cato, who always ended his speeches before the Roman Senate with: “oh and Carthage must be destroyed”

Carbago delenda est

I crack myself up sometimes…

(Jane- Old Crone) #55

Jane (aka JaneyMae) bellies up to the bar at the “Hog and Bull Tavern”. “Can I get a lime sparkling water, please.” My belly hurts tonight. I cruised the recipe section of the forum and made some cream cheese, coconut oil, blueberry, cocoa fat bombs. AND a big pot of “unstuffed cabbage rolls.” But I ate 2 bowls of the cabbage stuff, and about 4 fat bombs… now my tummy is TOO FULL! #Bigpigout

(hottie turned hag) #56

Well this thread went over like a lead balloon :rofl:
#fail

I got 4 16oz bags of pecan halves -not chopped, HALVES!- from WalMart online for $3.89/bag whaaaat? Heckyeah. They’re $9.48/16oz bag in the store.These were listed as “clearance” online, not sure why. Pretty stoked as I am a frugal fiend and refuse to buy pecans normally due to cost.

(Susan) #57

Check the expiration date maybe if they were on clearance?

I notice often in shops that they put stuff on clearance when it is near the “best by” date.

Congrats on your great deal, though, that is nice!

(hottie turned hag) #58

HA @Momof5 I got that covered; I ordered salsa from them online that came expired, was refunded and told to keep it so I got it for free in the end. Still edible.
#frugaltricks

(Susan) #59

Oh nice =). I have ordered a bunch of stuff from China online (the site I really love is www.aliexpress.com and they are so good at backing up their stuff. I have had a lot of stuff free from them over time; if it is late, or I simply don’t like it, they often say… keep it, sorry for the inconvenience.

(hottie turned hag) #60

What? I’m headed to that site with the quickness. Never heard of it before. Thanks, Susan :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: