Can we have an "off topic" forum?/"The Great Off-Topic Thread"

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #1

Not looking for discussion of politics or religion, but wanted to express the amount of sweat I had today just doing basic menial tasks in the hot Florida sun and the salt filled sweat dripping into my eyes and stinging​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And how I’m keeping my self busy when not focusing on keto to make the “weight loss” part go easier.

And how my friend laughed at me when I said I’m starting this thing basically at beginning of summer as I will lose some appetite from that alone and he said it seemed weird as most try to slim down before summer.

And how the word weird actually means “supernatural.”

Lol, always used to seeing an off topic area where people can connect in other ways and learn things.

(Susan) #2

I think that is a great idea, Jill =).

I am in a few other forums that have those.

=) Susan

I feel ya sweating- it’s 5 am here and I’m stuck to the couch, which is a problem since I need to get up for a coffee refill :joy: (first wold problems, i know ;)) We are in the beginning of a heat wave this week, we’ll be up to 37 by Thursday… I hope it dries the house quickly-we’ve had some bad storms last week and our bedroom looks like this :frowning:

Jill, we don’t specifically have an “off topic” section, but we usually are pretty lenient on off topic threads. No strict structure to what a thread can and can’t be.

I believe when the ketogenic forum was first created (well, first of all it was an exodus from Facebook), the ketogenic diet was still relatively new, and a lot of information was needed for the scientific validity of the diet. However, with the growing popularity of keto, and the seemingly constant revelations behind the science, this aspect of the forum had toned down some.

We’re still big supporters of the science behind keto, but the forums aren’t strictly focused on that alone. I think as time goes on you see more and more people coming here to just share their keto experience.

That being said, maybe you’ve noticed several people who have started their own “accountability” thread. Don’t get me wrong, many people use this thread to help hold themselves accountable, but they’ve also become an area where members can congregate and chat about, well, just about anything.

Another nice aspect of the accountability category is that it is locked from public search engines, so whatever you talk about there, won’t show up in public searches on Google and such.

It seems to me that everything you mentioned would be a great place to talk about on a personal accountability thread. And being “your” thread, you can bring up just about anything you want to talk about; losing weight, salty sweat, weird words, etc.

I’ll bring it up with the other admins, about the “off topic” idea, but in the meantime, fill free to start your own accountability thread, and chat away!

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #5

That’s horrible! Careful of the evil black mold.

We were I think somewhere in the 90’s but was compared to over 100.

I’ve not yet fired up the AC as I am second floor with some ocean breeze and it cools down in the evening.

Ac makes me stuffy. 🤷

(It's all about the bacon, baby) #6

I agree with the idea of starting an accountability thread. Many issues that are not directly related to the ketogenic diet are still relevant from the point of view of maintaining this way of eating, so we give accountability threads a bit more latitude than we might allow in other parts of these forums.

Another option is to use the private message feature to have a conversation with a specific group of friends. You would be free to invite anyone to join the group, but the topic would remain visible only to those who are part of the conversation.

Whichever option you choose, we would still expect the conversation to remain civil and to avoid hot-button topics. We have had some bad experiences in recent months with conversations that got out of control, so I for one am not eager to encourage a repeat of that sort of situation.

Yup :frowning: the wall is still a bit damp, so we’ll scrape it in the next few days and fix it this weekend…if was a perfect combo of conditions (45 min of hail, unbelievable downpour) so maybe it was just that, but I think we should have that side of the house checked…it’s my in-laws house, so I won’t stick my nose where it doesn’t belong, but that’s just my thinking…

ACs can make us feel pretty uncomfortable :frowning: I’ll probably turn it on a few hours :joy:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

I don’t think you can really have many expectations when it comes to private messaging unfortunately, because they are private.
You can’t exactly tell people what they can and can’t talk about. You can’t police people’s messages. It’s not your business.
Admin’s aren’t God, as much as they like to think, lol :smiley:

I like to think that most accountability threads get off topic eventually. That’s also the main problem with having one, people tend to want to contribute. Comes down to personal preference I guess.

Though I would like clarification on the hot-button topics :wink:

(Running from stupidity) #9

Not from admins, they’re not.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #10

That’s kind of gross and if admins are reading my messages for no reason then that’s just disgusting, and a breach of my privacy, especially if I am discussing private and confidential medical issues. That’s like them reading my Medical Files. I would expect so much more from the people who admin this Forum.

Technically what we refer to as “Admins” are still just moderators, and no, we do not have the ability to read private messages.

The only true Admins of this forum and Carl and Richard, as they are the “Owners”. Yes, they do have the ability to read private messages, but I assure they don’t.

(Carol) #12

I like the idea of an off-topic thread that would be comfortable for anyone to throw out any little tidbit. I never feel comfortable doing that on someone’s accountability thread. I don’t have a smart phone or camera so can’t share in those threads. So, mostly I just read and like posts when I remember I have that capability. I’m not much of a social media person so it could just be me. :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #13

If they were that bored, I’d suggest they started another podcast ;>

(Boots on? Balls to the wall? Good start.) #14

As would I thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal Keto) #15

@safi Ketobricks! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Boots on? Balls to the wall? Good start.) #16

:open_mouth::shushing_face::sweat_smile:

(Jacqueline Porter) #17

I have to say, this is my first experience with social media (am I sad or am I cool?). I don’t do Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, partly because I don’t really understand it, but mainly because I know far too much about people that I really shouldn’t know, I know stuff that just tells me banality and it’s never been me.
On this site, I can appreciate the science, the serious reflections, and if I can, rarely, help with a medical concern etc. But most of all I enjoy a little lightheartedness and banter with like minded people. So I would welcome such a thread😊
Or I could just throw a random thought out every now and then!

(Randy) #18

I think off topic board would be a great addition here.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #19

I’d like to know what’s considered a hot button topic as well, as it seems to mean different things for different people :blush:

(Brian) #20

I’m not a moderator but I kinda remember that religion and politics are not OK to talk about even though there are occasional relevant conversations that skirt a little closer than one might think. One has to be careful about that.

The other thing that comes to mind is “be nice”. Ya gotta be nice to other people 'cause if you get too nasty, that’s a no-no. Stuff like name-calling ain’t good. Belittling ain’t good. Stalking ain’t good. Inappropriate sex talk ain’t good.

Quite a few areas of life eventually do come back around to keto and that is the main thrust of theses forums. The opening post did talk about keto. It’s a part of a larger life, at least it should be!