Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #811

Deep Thoughts™

(Bob M) #812

Please stop with the Hunter Biden garbage. It’s not keto, never has been keto, never will be keto. Moreover, it’s completely made up and false.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #813

This is my personal space on the forums. Within the normal bounds of civility and decorum I post whatever I find interesting, thought provoking, note worthy, humorous, strange, important and/or trivial. Much is not directly relevant to keto, although maybe indirectly so.

If you don’t like a specific post you have the privilege to ignore it and go away.

@ctviggen

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #814

I don’t know if McSeeney’s products are available in the US, I would guess they are.

Curious about items in the ingredient list I do not recognize, I looked them up:

Glucono-δ-lactone

Glucono-δ-lactone (GDL) is a derivate of glucose (ie, a saccharic acid) and is a ring-shaped molecule. GDL exhibits six carbon © atoms, and an OH group is attached on every C atom.

In meat technology, GDL is predominantly used as acidity regulator in fermented salami and occasionally as a color enhancer. Basically, 1 g of GDL lowers the pH value within salami by 0.07–0.09 pH unit. GDL itself is a whitish powder and is not sour. Once in contact with water, coming from meat, the ring-shaped molecule opens up and hydrolyzes to gluconic acid. This acid causes the decline in pH value within fermented salami, and GDL is commonly applied at levels between 3 and 12 g/kg of salami.

Source

Sodium erythorbate

Is a food additive used predominantly in meats, poultry, and soft drinks. Chemically, it is the sodium salt of erythorbic acid. When used in processed meat such as hot dogs and beef sticks, it increases the rate at which nitrite reduces to nitric oxide, thus facilitating a faster cure and retaining the pink coloring. As an antioxidant structurally related to vitamin C, it helps improve flavor stability and prevents the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines.

Source

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #815

December 30, 2021

(Laurie) #816

To me, that’s much prettier than “fall colors.”

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #817

Friday, December 31, 2021

A beautiful incident at work today. For about two weeks there has been a small bird flying around inside the store. Both staff and customers have been concerned that the poor thing was either going to starve to death or die of thirst. No one was able to capture it - until today. While working at the store’s secondary mall entrance, one of the greeters came to me with bird in hand! I don’t know whether she caught it or another staff or customer did so and gave it to her. At any rate, I took the bird from her into my cupped hands.

This was early afternoon, and it had warmed since morning but was still below freezing, although it was a bright sunny day. I hoped the cold would not be too severe a shock to the little bird. I took it outside still cupped in both hands and walked well away from the mall doors. When I took away my covering hand the little guy sat very still on my left palm. This was my first view and my guess is the bird was either a Pacific Wren or a House Wren.

I had positioned my hand so the sunlight/warmth was on the bird and for a few minutes he did not move. I gently stroked his back with a finger of my other hand a few times - the bird was hardly more than a little puffball of down, the feathers were so soft. For several minutes more he seemed disinclined to move or fly from my hand. So I walked to a nearby tree and lifted my upraised palm to a small branch. The bird then moved to my finger tips and when I put my fingers right up to the branch he hopped onto it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #818

For reference, my current Keto Mix:

32%20AM

PS : For anyone who’s interested, total calories = 528.11
The Gram Ratio and Calorie Ratio refer to fat:protein

PPS: This keto coffee mix is my breakfast daily. I should mention that it’s now 07:00 in Vancouver and I finished my coffee half an hour ago, so about 06:30. My day’s shift begins at 08:30 and my meal break will occur from 12:30 - 13:30 unless delayed for some reason. So minimum 6 hours between breakfast and mid-day meal. I will experience no hunger between now and then. Today’s mid-day meal will consist of a bag of Bothwell Cheese Squeak Rs (240 grams) and 89 grams of Liberté Crème Fraîche; and represent half of today’s energy intake. I like to get most of my food during the day, not in the evening. Supper is generally a light meal for me.

Anyone doing bullet-proof coffee
Former Breakfast Eaters: experiences of 16:8 fasting + early morning workouts?
Former Breakfast Eaters: experiences of 16:8 fasting + early morning workouts?
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #819

5 Year Ketoversary :cut_of_meat:

Started a 4-day water fast on January 2, 2017. I felt very severe hunger for most of the day of January 3 which by the morning of January 4 was gone. Totally. I have not felt hunger since. I have been in continuous ketosis.

black-brush-calligraphy-banner-vector-id1171942036

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #820

I should mention that yesterday after work I planned to buy a couple of these at Walmart:

CON742p_MA_Beef_Medallions_07523_F1_Front_3D

… to celebrate my 5 Year Ketoversary. But alas, just after I clocked out for the day there was a FIRE ALARM and the store was evacuated! So, I’ll have to make an additional trip to get them today. And sous vide them tomorrow instead.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #821

Deep Thoughts™

Newton’s First Law

One fig to a cookie.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #822

Deep Thoughts™

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #823

One of my MarcAngelo beef medallions slow pan-fried in ghee. I managed to get it medium all the way through without burning the bottom! I had planned to sous vide both today but got distracted earlier and missed my window of opportunity. I’ll sous vide the other tomorrow. So I’ve got it in the freezer overnight. This was absolutely delicious!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #824

(Jane) #825

Oh no!

I was in Illinois one year on business and stopped at the local Walmart to try on jeans. After trying on a 8-10 pairs I found 3 that I was happy with the fit.

Then the tornado siren went off…… we were herded to the back of the store and was almost 40 minutes before we could leave. The tornado was close but missed us.

They let anyone leave at that point who wanted to, but kept the employees in the back, which meant I couldn’t check out and had no idea how long I would have to wait.

I didn’t want to have to start over, so I “stashed” my jeans in another section and hoped an employee wouldn’t find them and put them back. I came back the next day and so happy to find my jeans where I left them!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #826

R . U . KIDDING . ME? :flushed:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #827

This morning’s laugh.

(Jane) #828

:laughing:

(Jane) #829

Silly software will let me publish a single emoticon, but type LOL and it claims not a complete sentance and I can’t post it.

:roll_eyes:

(Robin) #830

Drives me crazy too!