Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #607

ZoUwyWc

(Jack Bennett) #608

What a false dichotomy, huh?

What if we told men they could eat more meat and live as long or longer? :grinning::muscle::cut_of_meat:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #609

You’ve gotta be kidding me…

The number one milk producing state is California (18.6% of US), while Wisconsin is only #2 (14%). Why, given that the main dairy feed is protein rich alfalfa, a very water intense hay crop? About 1.2 million acres of alfalfa in California, all irrigated. The reason turns out to be a simple but foolish political policy. Milk has had (since FDR) price supports. And ground zero (no support) is Madison, Wisconsin. The further from Madison, the higher the milk price support. And California is the farthest CONUS distance from Wisconsin. California is subsidy farming milk price supports from irrigated alfalfa using water it doesn’t presently have.

Source

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #610

Deep Thoughts™

(Jeff S) #611

Cynicism can be humorous, but product marketing is not the same as science

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #613

Granted. How about this one:

Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Linear Dose, Crossover Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of a Green Coffee Bean Extract in Overweight Subjects. Published in 2012 in the journal Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy.

See whether it’s an example of marketing cynicism or real science here:

Or how about the so-called Seven Countries Study by Ancel Keys upon which the past 60 years of nutritional misinformation has been largly based? We know now it was actually a 21 country study but the other countries didn’t support Keys’ pet hypothesis. Was marketing the ‘Smooth Taste Expectant Mothers Crave’ any worse than what Keys did?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #614

But, of course, there’s Peer Review™

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #615

My intermittent local beef tallow supplier. Unfortunately, intermittently not today.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #616

Deep Thoughts™

Source

(Doug) #617

Comparisons of ice area are often funky, especially when much of it is the Arctic versus the Antarctic. They’re so different - Antarctica is a continent with ocean all around it (and wind and water currents having a large impact). The Arctic Ocean is a water-filled basin largely surrounded by land masses.

Much more telling to look at total world ice volume and sea levels.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #618

Monday, June 21, 2021

Today’s meal at work: Boursin Bouquet of Basil and roast beef. The smaller bottle in the photo is 500 ml of cola-flavoured carbonated water with deep ocean minerals. The larger bottle is 1 liter of plain salt water (about half finished by mealtime).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #619

OK, here are the macros:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #620

11%20PM

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #621

Deep Thoughts™

Paper:

Discussion:

(Jane) #622

I don’t use pesticides in my garden because I keep bees. It always makes me smile when I am weeding and see so many earthworms.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #623

In Praise of… Fly Fishing

flyfishing-800x508

(Jane) #625

That is a spectacular sunset and pic!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #626

Cold Coffee

Previous summers I considered cold coffee rather than hot but never tried it. This year I did. When summer finally got around to showing up in mid-June here in Vancouver, I decided to give it shot. I’m quite happy with the results.:+1: I modded my keto mix since I expected stuff not to dissolve easily (or some of it at all) into cold coffee. So there’s about half the nutrients and calories than my regular keto mix. But it’s good and the flavours of the various coffees are more noticeable. I like that.

My first attempt was a disaster. I used my blender as I normally do and the cream separated into butter, so I ended up with cold, buttered coffee. Second attempt wasn’t much better because without the blender I did not stir the ingredients sufficiently so ended up with lumps of stuff. Just not lumps of butter. By my third attempt, I got it right. Perfecto!

I like my cold coffee so much that I’m even considering drinking it beyond summer. But that decision will come eventually, one way or the other. I really like being able to taste the subtle differences between all these exotic coffees I’m buying. This is good!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #627

While the site was down Vancouver along with much of the rest of BC and Alberta and the US Northwest experienced a hot spell. I suppose most of you read about it. I don’t know about other places, but here in Vancouver it was about time we got something because the several preceding months were cold and wet way more than normal and I was ready for summer. Even Victoria Day failed to produce this year.

Anyway, the temp flirted with 40°C (104°F) one day but each time I tried to get a photo of the thermometer across the street it dropped to 39. I had better things to do, so I settled for…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #628

I had planned to post the following long ago, but the site went down, so it didn’t happened. Better late than never. I notice that a lot folks seem to think ‘adding fat’ is a big deal. I don’t find it so at all. Here’s a lunch from a couple of weeks ago composed of sliced roast beef (lots of protein but not much fat), sliced Balderson extra old cheddar (nearly equal proportions of fat and protein), topped with red palm oil. I sometimes add medium Peri Peri sauce when I feel like having something spicy.