Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #41

(Susan) #42

Hahahaha -you should post this in the Humour thread as well; so more people see it if they don’t check your personal thread. It is funny =).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #43

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

Deep Thoughts

Think how hard it is to change yourself and you will realize how little chance you have to change someone else. Your best strategy is to lead by example. Maybe the other person will be inspired to emulate.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #45

My first foray into sous vide! One of these in a Ziplock freezer bag for 60 minutes at 175° F in my Breville kettle. Not much, but, hey!, it’s a start!

The payoff, swimming in a bit too much butter!

Mike's Excellent Sous Vide Adventure :cut_of_meat:
(Susan) #46

That is awesome; Michael! That is the first time that I have ever seen you post any pictures of real food! Nice!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #47

Well? How was it??

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #48

About 6-7 out of 10. It tasted great mostly because it’s marinated in herbs and spices which are quite good. Don’t know what, though. Secret ingredients. Not as tender as I thought it would be. I guess that takes longer cooking time.

Today’s experiment was a proof of concept. I don’t cook much so it’s difficult for me to justify a dedicated sous vide ‘cooker’, which is basically just a fancy combo immersion heater and thermometer good for nothing else. So I’m considering the purchase of a ‘thermal cooker’, which is basically a pot sized stainless thermos. I could use that to cook a variety of stuff. They’re in the same price range. So today I wanted to try out the concept of cooking in a water bath to find out if it’s worth the effort and expense of a thermal cooker.

I was favourably impressed. I have one of the beef medallions left, so I’m going to try again with a longer cooking time. I think 175° F is probably too hot as well, but that’s the lowest temp my kettle will go. So I might just have to cycle the thing on and off to keep the temp a bit lower. Don’t know yet.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #49

Deep Thoughts

Science works like this. Someone notices a phenomenon and wonders how it works or why it is the way it is instead of another way. More observations and experiments follow in an attempt to find a logical and coherent answer. Eventually, an hypothesis is proposed as a possible answer. It is subject to immediate and continuing skepticism. To be successful, the hypothesis must explain the phenomenon as observed and make predictions of future outcomes, which in turn can either be recorded by observations or tested by experiments. Past and present data, experiments and observations are employed to try to find error or to discredit the hypothesis entirely. If the hypothesis fails in any way it is modified if possible or discarded if not. If the hypothesis survives and is confirmed, or at least not disproved, by experiments and observations, it eventually is accepted as valid, but still subject to change or refutation based on future data and/or observations.

Pseudo-science works like this. Someone notices a phenomenon and gets a notion of how it must work or why it must be the way it is instead of another way. Notice, there is no question since the phenomenon has already been explained by the notion. Carefully selected data, observations and experiments designed to support it are presented as proofs of the explanatory notion’s validity. Data, observations and experiments that do not support the explanatory notion are ignored, explained away or fudged to support it. Anyone who finds fault or offers alternative explanations is rejected out-of-hand. Criticism is treated like heresy or apostasy. The inherent skepticism of real science is treated as anathema.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #50

Deep Thoughts

We often hear it said that science concerns itself with the physical, measurable world and religion with the nonphysical, immeasurable reality behind it. This is not so. Science is an attempt to describe the world and to understand how it works in its entirety. In other words, it is the attempt to understand everything. In this context, ‘religion’ is failed science, a late Bronze Age attempt to explain how the world works. And it got pretty much everything wrong.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #51

My Second experiment with sous vide in my Breville kettle. My second of these beef medallions. This time 2.5 hours at 175° F and wading in its own juice. This was very good! 8-9 out of 10.

And a bok choy salad.

No more eggs!
Mike's Excellent Sous Vide Adventure :cut_of_meat:
(Tyler) #52

That looks great.

(Marianne) #53

@amwassil, wow, that makes a “Big Gulp” look like a sippy cup!

:joy:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #54

Deep Thoughts

I’ve learned so much from my mistakes, I’m thinking of making a few more.

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.

To make a mistake is human, but to blame it on someone else, that’s even more human.

An expert is a person who has made every possible mistake in a small field of study.

The secret of success is to go from mistake to mistake without losing your enthusiasm.

I’m not here to judge, I’m just pointing out all the mistakes you’re making.

I never make the same mistake twice. I make it three four times, you know, just to be sure!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #55

(Susan) #56

The food looks very nice, Michael =).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #57

My food or the menu food?

(Susan) #58

Your food -I do not like SPAM =).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #59

I spotted this at Walmart a couple weeks ago and decided to try it. Aside from the added colour it’s pretty good stuff. Very strong cheddar flavour, lots of salt and zero carbs.

BUT too little fat to match my macros by itself. So to get it to match my macros I had to add more fat, but without messing up the great cheddar flavour. Ended up adding some of the following and it worked out very well. This is MCT oil in case it’s not clear. And from the label “Flavourless”, as indeed it is, sort of like heavy water :smirk::

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #60