Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Jane) #527

Now that’s an eye-catching ad!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #528

Interesting development for me at least. As I have noted numerous times I measure and weigh all my food and eat to macros and a daily caloric window. Doing so has served me well. I’ve been in maintenance since summer 2017 and my overall weight remains 145 +/- a pound or two and my BF remains around 14-15 per cent. I have enough energy to work a full-time job at Walmart that requires lots of physical activity and customer interaction, although I get very tired after more than 4 consecutive days. Yesterday, for example, I finished 5 consecutive days and was quite tired by the time I got home in the evening, but I feel pretty good now (next morning after about 7 hours of sleep). 6 consecutive days knock me out, though, and I’ve done a couple of 11 consecutive and I don’t like those at all!

For the last 2+ years my macros have been 2:1 fat:protein grams and 4.5:1 fat:protein calories. The past week or so I’ve developed a craving for more protein! So as of today, Feb 28, I am changing macros to: 1.48:1 fat:protein grams and 3.33:1 fat:protein calories. Still keeping my daily caloric target at 2700 (with the new macros it drops to 2695 which is doodly squat). I’ve upped my daily protein from 120 grams to 152 grams, and reduced fat from 240 grams to 225 grams.

This represents a significant reduction in fat daily energy intake: 2160 to 2025 calories. So I am curious whether or not I’ll notice - maybe I’ll start feeling hungry again? During my decades eating SAD I got hungry and felt satisfied/full normally, but since starting keto not so much.

PS: I just made a slight adjustment to my new macros. The ratios remain the same, but I lowered protein to 150 grams and fat to 222 grams. This also brought down overall calories to 2660, which is still not significant.

PPS: I only ate a total of 165 grams of fat and 111 grams of protein today for a total of 2015 cals. I planned to eat again but didn’t get around to it. It’s now 4 hours or so after my last meal and I don’t feel hungry. Maybe by morning.

(Laurie) #529

Interesting. That’s lots of fat. I seem to need lots of fat to feel satisfied as well. I know it could change at any time. Let us know how it goes with the changes.

You seem to be doing great. I’m impressed. At 68, my twice-monthly shopping trips leave me exhausted for a couple of days, even though I use the mobility carts in stores.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #530

@islandlight Thanks, Laurie! My first report is that my morning keto coffee with the new macros still tastes the same. I thought less fat (mostly coconut oil) and additional whey and collagen might impart a ‘powdery’ taste/texture. But all is good, still tastes like coffee with cream.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #531

Fortunately, I’ve been in good physical condition throughout my life. My only major issue is a degenerated L5 disc. That’s the one at the base of the spinal column immediately above the sacrum. That was apparently damaged during childhood and became a debilitating issue during my mid-late 20s. It only became a continuous source of pain and inflexibility from about my mid-50s. If I do too much lifting of stuff at Walmart the pain can get quite severe for a day or two, but otherwise it’s manageable. But even the L5 degeneration doesn’t prevent me walking, cycling and working so I remain fairly active. I’ve also never had any metabolic problems and my overall health is quite good. I adopted keto to keep my metabolism healthy as long as possible.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #532

A couple of butter poached eggs with bacon bits:

Balderson’s Spreadable Cheddar:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #533

Lake Marie, Medicine Bow National Forest (?), Wyoming. Can anyone confirm?

ht%20screamingindigital%20(1)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #534

(Laurie) #535

Can’t confirm, but it certainly looks like it.
20210228_223935

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #536

Deep Thoughts™

Spoiler Alert: no

Is It Over?
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #537

I posted some good news (nutritionally) about coffee here.

Unfortunately, there’s bad news, too. Not nutritionally but…

(Jane) #538

BOO :rage:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #539

Deep Thoughts™

Do you ever get up in the morning, look in the mirror and think, “That can’t be accurate"?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #540

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #541

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #542

Brave New World.

Our Drones Never Sleep

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #543

Walmart’s Our Finest 1/4 pound Angus burger with Nando’s Medium Peri Peri Sauce and a little red palm oil, topped with bacon bits and melted mozzarella. Cooked in the microwave. I mixed 2 grams of turmeric into the Peri Peri Sauce. I was surprised how good this is. Will be including it regularly as an alternative to Angus burger pan fried in palm kernel oil, topped with bacon and mozzarella.

PS: This is as complicated as cooking gets for me, or will get. :crazy_face:

Is this what Brown Fat activation feels like?
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #544

Flash from the past.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #545

Most recent keto coffee mix. I found that with my new macro ratios fat : protein grams 1.48 : 3.33 that frequently a lot of whey powder settled out of solution in my mug. So I decided to revert to an earlier mix with a higher fat ratio that worked well, but then add Coffee Booster Collagen to readjust the macros.

PS: I should also mention that although it’s not on the spreadsheet, I use 2.5 grams of salt as well. Usually Himalayan pink, but alternatively Redmond’s Real Salt.

Anemia and Keto?!
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #546

The Realm of the Airmen