Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #406

(Jane) #407

We had some Canadian geese hanging out on our fire water ponds at the plant. Some of the guys had expensive pickup trucks with mirror finished on them.

When the Canadian geese saw their reflection they thought it was another make and pecked chips into the side of the trucks

:astonished:

Lesson: Don’t wash your truck if you don’t have an old beater to drive to work!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #408

:laughing: On the other hand, here in Vancouver’s Stanley Park Lagoon in the spring and early summer one can get very close to the goose hatchlings under the watchful eyes of their mothers, all munching the new grass. The babies are the most adorable little yellow fluffies and I think their mothers enjoy being the center of attention - as long as you don’t get too close. You can get close enough to take some really great photos!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #409

PS: By next summer these two little fluff balls in the above photo will take their zones patrolling Canada Place to keep the tourists in line. :sunglasses:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #410

nasa

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #411

21%20AM

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #412

Update:

This stuff has way too much distinctive aroma and flavour to use in coffee. The only coffee that came close to incorporating it without being overwhelmed by it was a mix of Mr Viet and Café du Monde. Would not be a big issue if the aroma and flavour were something other than toe jam.

I have discovered, however, a use for it that works. When I pan fry my ground beef/sirloin/Angus patties, I can mix it half and half with ghee. The combination of beef/ghee/mozarella bring it all under control. It’s still there, but more nuanced and subtle. I suspect the heat of frying helps vent some of the more toe-jam-like aroma and flavour.

So, I’m good to go.

(What else is there to talk about?) #413

I am picturing this in a palm kernel oil commercial​:rofl::joy::rofl:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #414

What else awaits discovery?

44%20AM

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #415

IMG_0022

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #416

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #417

Deep Thoughts™

From the Getting Old Is Not for Sissies Dept.

• To be born beautiful is fortuitous and ought to be accepted as such, not worshiped as a great accomplishment. I think to some extent we can blame the adoration of youth and beauty on the ancient Greeks. They seemed to have been quite obsessed with it.

• One can lament the fact we live a lot more of life old and ugly than young and beautiful. But only the luck of the genetic draw saves the very few from this fate. The rest of us have the choice of wallowing in obsessive despondency or transforming the physical beauty of youth into the moral, intellectual and productive beauty of maturity.

• If you are lucky you will spend a lot more time old and ugly than young and beautiful.

• Getting old is not fun, but it beats the alternative.

• The only thing worse than getting old is not.

• At the end of life I would prefer to recall that I leave the world a better place in some way, even minutely measured, by what I have accomplished.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #418

(Susan) #419

Hahahaha.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #420

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #421

X

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #422

Today’s lunch at work: ‘bacon pemmican’. Great Value Bacon Crumbles and beef tallow to my fat:protein macros.

Bacon in big chunks, no slices
My keto struggles - introduction post
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #423

Adventures in Sugarland

As the price of sugar was so prohibitive, it was often mixed with cheaper substances or ‘daft’ and then this inferior sugar would be sold on to the working classes. ‘Daft’ was a mixture of substances such as powdered limestone and plaster of Paris, not tasty but perfectly safe…

Tragically on this occasion, due to a mistake at the pharmacy, 12 pounds of arsenic trioxide were purchased instead of the harmless ‘daft’. Both ‘daft’ and arsenic trioxide are white powders; the arsenic trioxide was not properly labelled and stored alongside the ‘daft’, and so the confusion arose.

The mistake was not discovered during the manufacture of the sweets, even though the finished product did look a little unusual. The sweets (lozenges) were made by James Appleton, who combined forty pounds of sugar, twelve pounds of arsenic trioxide, four pounds of gum, and peppermint oil, to create at least forty pounds of peppermint humbugs.

The sweets reportedly contained enough arsenic to kill two people per humbug.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #424

Meanwhile, in the continuing decline of the Holocene towards the next glacial max:

Precision research by physicists William Happer and William van Wijngaarden has determined that the present levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide and water vapor are almost completely saturated. In radiation physics the technical term “ saturated ” implies that adding more molecules will not cause more warming.

Oh, yeah.

According to Bull (shit) Sci, in 20-40 years of unchecked global warming people will need air conditioners at least 18 days per year to survive temperatures in Louisiana.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #425

After a lifetime of Chartreuse-curiosity I finally tried it. It’s expensive, so I won’t be trying it again any time soon. It’s strange. Lot’s of anise/licorice. It’s a big ethanol hit at 55%. I like it.