Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #286

Today’s shift is 3-11 pm, so I have time to linger this morning with Bubba:

Folger’s French Vanilla. I used my French press this morning. Otherwise I would have to start a fresh cold brew tomorrow morning (due to work schedule) and I much prefer to do so in the evening. Otherwise I would have used the rest of the coffee in the first of my 2-liter jars. When I do so, I pour the coffee into my Chemex carafe and heat it to 190°F in a pot of boiling/simmering water. My Espro press pot makes very decent hot brew.

Coffee drinkers
(Bob M) #287

I know a lot of people think covid is a joke, but my wife’s niece moved to “upstate” NY. She works with a person out of his house. His mother was there too. She was 93. The mother got covid, they believe from a health worker who came to the house. She gave it to her son, who is early 60s we think. The mother and son both went to the hospital. He was in a week. Sadly, she did not come out.

He is covid negative now, but supposedly has 20% permanent damage to both his heart and lungs.

So, stay safe, my large container of coffee drinking keto colleague!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #288

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your supportive thoughts. I’ve already expressed my opinions to some extent elsewhere - and got ‘shushed’ for my efforts - so I’ll just reiterate that I think COVID-19 been hyped beyond hysteria for some reason (ie cui bono? who benefits from ginning this up to irrational paranoia?). I do take it seriously and engage active countermeasures that so far have kept me healthy and strong. I also read a lot and one of the most important facts about COVID-19 is that 99+% of those who get seriously ill and die from it already have multiple so-called comorbidities any one of which could and will kill them with or without COVID in the mix. I have none of those chronic diseases so realize am at little serious risk. BTW, all associates at Walmart get temps measured at the start of each shift and I continue to register normal. For what that’s worth. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bob M) #289

It depends in part where you are. In my county, we’ve had almost 1,300 deaths. In my state, we’re at over 3,000 deaths total, about 3x more than the flu in a typical flu season, and we’re only 3 months into it (versus a year for the flu). This is what it looks like for my state:

If you’re older, it’s tougher.

But there was a dad about my age (55) or younger with kids my age, who was one of the first in the state who was hospitalized for it. He lives in my county, and his kids go to the schools my kids go to. He was on a ventilator. We believe he survived, but we’re not sure.

So, if you’re where it hasn’t hit yet, then you probably think it’s a “hoax”. If you’re in the thick of it, it’s not.

(Ron) #290

Well stated as I have seen this as well. (from personal experience)
I also have a friend that survived it and has changed his attitude completely. He is 52yo and had the mindset that he was healthy and would survive. He did but now says it was the worse thing he ever experienced and was sure he was going to die. He is still not 100% and questions if he will be.

(Jessica) #291

This is so true, even on a smaller scale. My area has not been hit very hard as far as numbers go. We are a mostly rural state. My husband is an RN with 10 years ICU experience and got pulled from the GI lab (where he had been for 6 years) to the ICU/COVID unit back in March. It ebbs and flows but just today he had a 37 year old that was tanking fast. A friend was relating his experience to an acquaintance in April-ish and the response was “so it’s real!?!?”

(Full Metal KETO AF) #292

Shocking Mike. I’m with ya. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #293

Deep Thoughts™

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #294

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #295

For the Love of Rhododendrons™

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #296

Dreams of the South Pacific™

Voyage to Bali Hai

The island of your dreams that exists only in your own heart.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #297

Butter poached eggs.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #298

Deep Thoughts™

The truth is that agriculture is the most destructive thing humans have done to the planet, and more of the same won’t save us. The truth is that agriculture requires the wholesale destruction of entire ecosystems. The truth is also that life isn’t possible without death, that no matter what you eat, someone has to die to feed you.

I want a full accounting, an accounting that goes way beyond what’s dead on your plate. I’m asking about everything that died in the process, everything that was killed to get that food onto your plate. That’s the more radical question, and it’s the only question that will produce the truth. How many rivers were dammed and drained, how many prairies plowed and forests pulled down, how much topsoil turned to dust and blown into ghosts? I want to know about all the species – not just the individuals, but the entire species – the Chinook, the bison, the grasshopper sparrows, the grey wolves. And I want more than just the number of dead and gone. I want them back.

Lierre Keith, The Vegetarian Myth

Source

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #299

My new CEP compression socks:

I also usually wear (over the socks) a set of Tensor ankle supports that are long enough to go nearly half way up my calves. I fold down the upper half over my ankle bones. I do this because I’ve started to get spider veins around my ankle bones and want to prevent them getting any worse.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #300

I decided to try something new! Cubita promises the taste of ‘Old Cuba’ complete with the aroma of fresh cigar smoke. Fortunately the aroma of cigar smoke is mostly just that, not so much in the flavour. It makes a very smooth, full but not harsh cuppa, with only a very slight hint of that fresh cigar smoke. This is one of the better selections for my morning keto coffee, as it’s flavour comes through the mix quite well, not overwhelmed nor overwhelming. :blush:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #301

For the Love of Rhododendrons™

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #302

Flash from the past (2005).

(Polly) #303

nice colour - do they also glow in the dark?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #304

@Polly1 No, but that would be pretty cool if they did!

(Susan) #305

Happy Birthday, Michael!!

Many Happy Returns!!