Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Karen) #662

Does deep frying it make it crispy. When I open the can its a bit soft and mushy when I slice it, i eat a bit then pop the rest in fridge and it is so much better when colder. I may try it fried… I don’t have a deep fat fryer though.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #663

I should first say that I didn’t really ‘deep fry’ it in the sense that I have such a utensil. I used a cast iron skillet with enough palm kernel oil to provide a ‘bath’. Only the surface got at all crispy and that not so much. Yes, moreso than straight out of the can. But nothing like KFC.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #665

Posting this here for reference only - NOT DISCUSSION. Please do not reply or discuss. I don’t want either this post or my personal topic shut down over it. Thank you. If you feel you must inform me about something herein, please send a private message. Thanks. Link.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #666

Pull up a chair, put up your feet, have your pot of coffee at hand. Enjoy.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #667

Flash from the past:

Twofer:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #668

Apologia Pro Victu Meo

This post is a response to this question posted in another topic:

My ‘short answer’ is yes, I do.

The following is my longer answer.

After starting keto in Jan 2017, I determined over the course of the better part of a year that I had to eat about 2500 calories per day to maintain my overall weight and body comp (14-15% BF). When I started working full-time at Walmart the summer of 2018 I started losing weight so upped my total daily calories to 2700 where I stabilized again. I have since determined that as long as I eat within a ‘caloric window’ of 2400-2700 calories my weight and body comp remain stable. I do not have reliable hunger and satiety signals on keto, so I use my weight and other physical parameters to help determine how much to eat.

Which brings us to:

Fat:Protein Macros

My macros are based on protein, currently 1.8g/kg of total body weight. This is the high end of Bikman’s range of recommended values (1.5-2 g/kg). I went high because as an older male I want to retain as much lean body mass as I can and understand that protein assimilation becomes less efficient the older one gets. I’m active, walk and cycle a lot but don’t pump iron or do any ‘gym’ type exercises. I get a pretty good overall workout at Walmart 5 days per week. I didn’t use magic to determine the numbers 1.8 and 120. I wanted a ratio within Bikman’s high end and I also wanted an amount of protein that would be easy to use for calculations and measurements. So at 145 pounds total body weight, I have a number for protein: 120 grams per day. From above, I also have a number for total calories: 2400-2700 per day. To get that amount of energy I have to eat 240 grams of fat each day (2160 calories).

So, yes, I eat lots of supplementary fat from a variety of sources:

• Cream
  • Ghee
  • Palm Kernel Oil
  • Red Palm Oil
  • Coconut Oil
  • Fractionated Coconut Oil (MCT)
  • Cacao Butter

My macro calculator

Today’s meals as examples:

Newbie! trying not to tie myself in knots about getting keto perfect

@amwassil Do you think you would need less calories if you would consume more PUFA?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #670

@anon94382398 I don’t know but suspect not.

I’d first ask why should I want to eat more PUFAs? I eat oily fish occasionally: herring, sardines, anchovies, salmon. In fact, for a couple of years I ate herring about 4-5 times per week. But not so much any more. Even when I was eating lots more herring and other oily fish, my total caloric requirement was not lower. In fact, during that time frame I established my current maintenance ‘caloric window’.

My opinion is that our ancestors consumed whatever PUFAs were contained in the fats they ate in the various prey animals they hunted. And whatever those amounts, they are probably about what we have evolved to consume as part of a healthy diet. Granted, in certain environments fish were a more prominent dietary component than in others. Yet overall, I’d say that PUFAs are likely best consumed in the relatively small amounts contained in other animal fats - rather than eating oily fish exclusively, for example.

Have you got any citations of research indicating otherwise? If so, I’d like to see it. Thanks.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #671

The result of trying to use dry ice to chill a cocktail. It makes perfect sense in theory, but… lots of smoke and no fire.

Ace of Spades Oct 03, 2021.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #672

On his 74th birthday, a man got a gift certificate from his wife. The certificate paid for a visit to a medicine man living on a nearby reservation who was rumored to have a wonderful cure for erectile dysfunction.

After being persuaded, he drove to the reservation. The old medicine man slowly and methodically produced a potion, handed it to him, and with a grip on his shoulder, warned, “This is a powerful medicine, and it must be respected. You take only a teaspoonful, and then say ‘1-2-3.’ When you do that, you will become more manly than you have ever been in your life, and you can perform as long as you want.”

As he walked away, the man asked, “How do I stop the medicine from working?”

“Your partner must say ‘1-2-3-4,’” the medicine man responded, “but when she does, the medicine will not work again until the next full moon.”

The man was very eager to see if the potion worked so he went home, showered, shaved, took a spoonful of the medicine, and then invited his wife to join him in the bedroom. When she came in, he took off his clothes and said, “1-2-3!”

Immediately, he was the manliest of men.

His wife was excited and began throwing off her clothes, and then she asked, “What was the 1-2-3 for?”

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #673

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #674

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #675

jeff

(Jane) #676

:rofl:

My husband laughed and said “poor guy!!”

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #677

10%209%2021%200nt%20(1)

(Jane) #678

Bacon flights?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #679

Branch Manager and Assistant Branch Manager

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #680

Blast from the past.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #681

Bagman

(Laurie) #682

You have nice posture! I’m working on mine.