Breakfast with Bubba

conversationstarters

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #417

Deep Thoughts™

From the Getting Old Is Not for Sissies Dept.

• To be born beautiful is fortuitous and ought to be accepted as such, not worshiped as a great accomplishment. I think to some extent we can blame the adoration of youth and beauty on the ancient Greeks. They seemed to have been quite obsessed with it.

• One can lament the fact we live a lot more of life old and ugly than young and beautiful. But only the luck of the genetic draw saves the very few from this fate. The rest of us have the choice of wallowing in obsessive despondency or transforming the physical beauty of youth into the moral, intellectual and productive beauty of maturity.

• If you are lucky you will spend a lot more time old and ugly than young and beautiful.

• Getting old is not fun, but it beats the alternative.

• The only thing worse than getting old is not.

• At the end of life I would prefer to recall that I leave the world a better place in some way, even minutely measured, by what I have accomplished.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #418

(Susan) #419

Hahahaha.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #420

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #421

X

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #422

Today’s lunch at work: ‘bacon pemmican’. Great Value Bacon Crumbles and beef tallow to my fat:protein macros.

Bacon in big chunks, no slices
My keto struggles - introduction post
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #423

Adventures in Sugarland

As the price of sugar was so prohibitive, it was often mixed with cheaper substances or ‘daft’ and then this inferior sugar would be sold on to the working classes. ‘Daft’ was a mixture of substances such as powdered limestone and plaster of Paris, not tasty but perfectly safe…

Tragically on this occasion, due to a mistake at the pharmacy, 12 pounds of arsenic trioxide were purchased instead of the harmless ‘daft’. Both ‘daft’ and arsenic trioxide are white powders; the arsenic trioxide was not properly labelled and stored alongside the ‘daft’, and so the confusion arose.

The mistake was not discovered during the manufacture of the sweets, even though the finished product did look a little unusual. The sweets (lozenges) were made by James Appleton, who combined forty pounds of sugar, twelve pounds of arsenic trioxide, four pounds of gum, and peppermint oil, to create at least forty pounds of peppermint humbugs.

The sweets reportedly contained enough arsenic to kill two people per humbug.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #424

Meanwhile, in the continuing decline of the Holocene towards the next glacial max:

Precision research by physicists William Happer and William van Wijngaarden has determined that the present levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide and water vapor are almost completely saturated. In radiation physics the technical term “ saturated ” implies that adding more molecules will not cause more warming.

Oh, yeah.

According to Bull (shit) Sci, in 20-40 years of unchecked global warming people will need air conditioners at least 18 days per year to survive temperatures in Louisiana.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #425

After a lifetime of Chartreuse-curiosity I finally tried it. It’s expensive, so I won’t be trying it again any time soon. It’s strange. Lot’s of anise/licorice. It’s a big ethanol hit at 55%. I like it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #426

Flash from the past:

Twofer:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #427

Today was the first day of The Two Months of Christmas at Walmart.

(Jane) #428

What is that? Is that a current pic?

(Susan) #429

Good question, @Janie !!

I cannot imagine it being current in a Walmart in Canada?? At least not in my province (Ontario). I know that Michael is in British Columbia --so maybe their rules are way different then ours.

Here we all have masks as mandatory everywhere you go; and social distancing with tape marked out on the floor with directions.

(Bob M) #430

Egad…so much wrong there.

I guess you and I won’t be talking much.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #431

@Janie @Momof5 No, not current and not my Walmart in North Vancouver either. Just a ‘representative’ photo of what it feels like these last few days. Like lots of people have been wanting to shop for a long time and have finally been released to shop to their hearts’ content. Oh yeah, we have mandatory masks for both customers and staff. Although only required of staff when on the sales floor.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #432

The One We Remember™

The Original™

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #433

rise-shine-20201103-1012

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #434

Alert!

The following link goes to a political comment. It has zero to do with keto. I think the article says what it says with humour and insightfulness. You may disagree. If you do not want to read political comments then do not hit this link. :raised_hand:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #435

Great Value Cream Cheese and Piller’s sliced German Salami.

(Doug) #436

:+1: I do this type of thing a lot, Michael - easy, fast, good.