BBQ sauces & rubs - commercial or homemade

(Morgan Rose) #1

I thought there was a a subcategory for sauces…unless I just made that up in my head

I really wanna make meatloaf, I use to make mine with sweet baby rays, wahhh, but I have yet to find a keto friendly BBQ sauce…does it exist?

I know I can make meatloaf with different variations I for w.e reason just want some with BBQ sauce haha if possible

I think BBQ sauce is typically about half sugar. That said, I’m very interested if anyone has a good recipe for a keto friendly version.

I’ve only made a few of Maria Emmerich’s recipes even though I’ve bought all her cookbooks, but what I have made I like.

http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/category/bbq/

Carrie Brown is a classically trained chef who’s also turned to the “keto side” and the recipes I’ve made from her are also very good.

(Steve) #4

I found this in my local store that I use.
http://kendavis-bbq.com
This works for me as I only use it sparingly.

(John) #5

I do a lot of BBQ, doesn’t need sauce, but sometimes I want it anyway. Here are some regional sauces I have tried that are really good.

Great for chicken
Alabama White Sauce

I do a few tweaks and leave out the tomato paste personally, but this is great on pork of all kinds including chops.
South Carolina Mustard Sauce

For beef I like either plain or for tacos or something a mix to taste of horseradish and Mayo.

East Carolina sauce is something like:
2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 Teaspoons cayenne
1 Teaspoon Kosher salt

These aren’t attempts at duplicating the super sweet KC stuff but they are well tested recipes that go great with meat. Most people here like sweet sauce like SBR but after trying it most people prefer the mustard sauce.

(Chris Bair) #6

Personally, I just go for the store bought ones:

You can find the G Hughes ones at many supermarkets, including wal-mart https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-Hughes-Smokehouse-Sugar-Free-Hickory-Flavored-BBQ-Sauce-18-oz/40740655
(I don’t like the taste of the maple one, the hickory is better IMO)

I also like this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Guys-Winning-BBQ-Bottle-Sampler/dp/B00UCDACLW/

(Scott Shillady) #7

Absolutely, if your bbq needs sauce, your not doing it right. I love that you link to amazing ribs. they are my one stop shop for all of my BBQ questions. I love how they back things up with science.

I made a bbq sauce for my wife and kids that love sauce this weekend. Used swerve and maple ext
ract in place of the brown sugar that i used to love, i will right up the recipe, and work out the macros on it later this week

(matt ) #8

This one is pretty solid. I am more of a dry rub guy honestly.

(Jacquie) #9

Nice to meet someone else who prefers dry rubs. :slight_smile:

(Dustin Cade) #10

I need to find some keto friendly dry rub recipes… I love slow cooking meat… a good brisket!

(Scott Shillady) #12

Bad Byrons Butt Rub

I was going to make my own rub because there is a lot of sugar in most commercially available. Then I found this in the spice aisle at Sam’s as I was looking for supplies to make my own. was delighted at the no sugar. And it was actually cheaper than buying direct. I used it straight on my pork shoulder and ribs, and mixed in some chili powder for the brisket. Definitely glad i picked it up.

(Jacquie) #13

I’m in Canada and have been able to find some rubs without sugar, too. It’s great when I want something quick and easy. I’ll also play around and make my own concoctions. :smile:

(Scott Shillady) #14

I love making my own. This was a great time saver, I used to do one that I called Rasta Rub. it was a jamaican jerk styled rub, Very spicy, used to have to pulverize the dried scotch bonnets myself. I need to find where i put that recipe and ketofy it

(Jacquie) #15

Love jerk but haven’t had it for quite a while. I’m too chicken to work with ‘live’ scotch bonnets, even wearing gloves, so I buy the seasoning.

(Scott Shillady) #16

Yep got to be careful, first time i made it in a blender i did’t think about it getting all in the air. I had a coughing fit that lasted about an hour. I’m glad my wife and kids were out that afternoon

(Jacquie) #17

Yes. If hot peppers then fumes. Been there done that. :wink: I always wear gloves, too, as I wear contact lens.

(Candy Lind) #19

Resurrecting an old thread that Newbies might want, ‘cause everyone likes BBQ, right??

I have made my own BBQ sauce at home, & been happy with it, but I’ve been looking for something we can use when we’re out on the road, and G Hughes fills the bill. I can get it at HEB & they told me WalMart has it and should be getting the ketchup as well. Yippee! :grin:

Do you have any favorite recipes or commercial BBQ sauces that aren’t listed here? And let’s expand this to rubs, too, since they’ve been mentioned.

(Bob M) #22

If you’re making a meatloaf, I use a “sugar free” ketchup, but then add allulose to the top of it. Allulose will brown/caramelize.