August Fat Burnin'

I love this post, and agree that the slippery slope is a dangerous place for me to venture.

Just yesterday I spent hours in the kitchen, working on Keto recipes for chocolate, whoopie pies, bread and more. Most came out much less than exciting, and left me feeling a bit more deprived than I have for a while.

However, I know that I need the Keto and the IF as well, because I don’t want to be that diabetic woman who has a “progressive” and hideous disease. So, I will perhaps just have that ONE row of a real, but low carb chocolate. That way I can have what I really crave and know that there is room for a taste of such things without going nuts.

KCKO, what great advice :wink:

(Doug) #507

Yeah, definitely this. On the “ONE row…” - I’ve found (several times) that with pizza, for example, 2 or 3 pieces is really the satisfying part, and after that it’s almost all just compulsion. Know, too, that there are keto-friendly pizza versions etc. I think that retiring in a few years will be a saving grace, really able to cook, plan ahead, etc., then.

Love, love the basic cauliflower pizza actually.

After all of the little recipes I’ve tried lately, I think keeping it simple is best just now. I don’t want to get disillusioned with “wanna-be” bread/cookies etc. The reality is, I just need to stay away from most of that and be happy with chocolate mousse, ice cream and some peanut butter/chocolate fat bombs here and there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Retirement…oh how I wish that were closer than it is! Maybe you’ll be able to come up with alternative whopper one day !

(Doug) #509

Nawww… I already got the real one. :: laughing like a 15 year old… ::

(Hagen) #510

I hope the month has gone well for you, Irishred. But… does this mean that the fat burning is done in a couple days…? :worried:

No! Say it is not so! (and that in September there will be more fat burning)

(Doug) #512

Yes. Any and all weight you want to lose has to be done in the next two days, so better get cracking.

I feel so out of touch, I haven’t had much time to follow the forums. I definitely had more fasting days than eating days at least the first few weeks of August, so it’s been strange to eat (at least one meal) for 5 days in a row.

I do hope to continue burning fat in September. However on September 12 I have my first actual appointment with my new doctor (who is actually an old friend and was once my fertility doctor to help sustain pregnancy – she is now a functional medicine doc). My husband and I met with her for a consultation and signed up for the 6-month program (though she anticipates I am going to be working on this for a year with her). This is going to mess everything up! But I hope the outcome is ultimately a gain. I think I will put the details I know so far in another thread I started regarding my 300+ blood sugars and still registering in ketosis… that’s kind of where I have been logging the medical side of my journey. But here is the gist of it: she wants me to eat a diet that has a good chance of knocking me out of ketosis because it involves 8 servings of veggies a day of a variety of colors. I am also going to have to give up dairy for a while, oh my gravy, what am I going to do? She does believe in intermittent fasting, but not sure she will be sold on the multi-day fasts that seem to have helped me so much. I guess we’ll see. But before that, I do want to try to throw another 7-day fast in there, if I possibly can. (It is hard! But I may not get another chance at this for a while.) So that may be a good way to start September?

(Doug) #514

Darcy, it seemed to me that you were making real progress on your blood sugar. Yeah - 8 servings of vegetables - the carbs would add up somewhere in there, eh? May be overly-simplistic on my part, but sounds like the doctor suspects some deficiency(s) that the veggies will correct. I’d be interested to hear what the doctor’s rationale is for everything.

Good luck. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, I’ll let you know. I am wondering if including adequate fat will help me stay in ketosis. I am sure I am not always staying under 20-30 grams carbs, but I have never seen lower than 0.4 on the Nova Max meter. Today I see 1.5, which I was relieved to see after eating pretty well the last few days. She referred to my current diet as being strict. I guess it is, but it doesn’t feel like it. Still, as a vegetarian, I am not opposed to the idea of eating more veggies. I may have to get used to the thought of possibly eating a protein shake made with beef gelatin or collagen though. :slight_smile: We will see how it goes.

(Doug) #516

Farewell, August, you were a good month. @irishred and everybody - here’s to things keeping on in September.

We need a new thread for the new month. And how about some more participants?

(Doug) #518

September Fat Accumulation - gonna be me for a couple days here.

I’ll be in for September Fat Burnin’…please, no more accumulation. I did a wee bit o’ that on vacation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Darcy, I hope this new doctor/plan will be good for you, but no ketosis and few EFs…I don’t know. I agree, it sounds like you had really been making some progress on your BG. It will all be part of the learning curve though, and you are free to do as you feel is best depending on the results you see. I believe that your body will tell you.

I’ve seen FBG be right back into the 100s now that I’ve been a bit high on protein and eating a 16:8 window nearly every day. I have to say, it’s a bit disheartening to see the scale go up and the BG numbers. I used my last keto strip two days ago and only had a 0.6 blood ketone reading :frowning:

I think September is going to be a month for more fasting and some simple strength training and walks. I really enjoyed Ted Naiman’s explanation of 4 exercises to failure 2-3x/week. Sounds simple and like something that gives real results.

Bla,bla,bla, sorry for the drivel :wink: Happy September!

uh oh! well feast, then fast, the cycle of life.

Thanks for those thoughts. I got a similar response from my kids, “but you have already made such progress.” I did clarify with my doctor that my GI problems of old (acid reflux, etc.) were almost resolved completely eating keto, and that the only problems I have with it is transitioning between fasting and eating, and sometimes between eating fasting, and even that seemed better after multiple fasts in August. So she decided to hold off on having me do the fodmap protocal (elimination diet, thinking I might have SIBO but in all my research I really don’t think I have that).

I have been so frustrated with the numbers going up after starting to eat again, I just want answers. Now, it has been slower to climb back up this time, but I have been eating at least one, usually two keto meals plus coffee for the past 9 days now I think, and just this morning I had a very high 295. Until this it was sticking around 250 or less. Approaching the 300s again seems like an utter failure and going backwards. Granted, last night I had kind of an emotional-eating episode regarding dairy (I ate a lot of it, kind of in defiance of this blanket condemnation of dairy that seems to be prevalent at this doctor’s office… it was the nurse that mentioned it yesterday.) They may be right. It could well be dairy messing me up. I am going to have to do an N=1 on that, but it’s like my worst nightmare to not be able to enjoy dairy on eating days!

I still think it is some hormonal issue either related to my hysterectomy or amylin. But before I can get to those topics, we have to know once and for all if I am Type 2 or actually Type 1.5 or LADA. Tomorrow I do the glucose/insulin 2-hour challenge test. After that I plan to eat some keto soup, and then fast. For how long, not sure yet. I am not under any guidelines as far as diet and fasting quite yet, so I am going to go with what I know. A few weeks from now the curriculum of the doc’s program gets to detox, and that is where I will need add more veggies. I am going to do my best to keep the carbs low but nutrition high.

Was that a Ted Naiman video on exercise? Not sure I’ve seen that, at least not recently. I think that strength training is an important element in insulin sensitivity, one I don’t have going yet. Want to know more, and would join in on some of that in September as well.

(Jeremy Storie) #522

Yeah I just made a fathead pizza and consumed most of it :grin:

Ah yes, the dastardly, rising of the FBG. It is disappointing and as far as dairy goes…my attitude thus far has be “Lalalalalalala, I can’t HEAR you!!!” If I can’t eat dairy…I don’t think that I, personally, can hold on to keto. That may sound extreme, but I don’t know what life would be like with only coconut oil, olives, fish, bacon and eggs…but I am not interested in finding out either.

I already have a hard enough time without decent baked goods and I know I would really struggle if I couldn’t eat cheese and ice cream.

I know hormones are all about this, we are so complex and who knows just what is effecting us at any given time…the combinations seem endless.

As for the Dr Ted Naiman, I saw an interview he was doing with this lady? I’m not sure, sorry!

Maybe worth a try watching this anyway?

Keep us posted, I’ll be posting as I continue my own experiment/keto and IF to EFs as September moves along. I hope all will go well for you, you’ve been working hard!

The last 10 pounds
(Khara) #524

I have been “meaning to” start the body weight exercises for 2 years now. I’ve followed Ted Naiman for a while and am pretty amazed at the results he’s gotten with very little time but with commitment to consistency. I’ve spent years with exercise routines taking up to 3 hours out of my day by the time driving to and from are considered. Never much to show from it either and so it always felt futile and not at all sustainable. Having such great success on just low carb/Keto alone without any exercise I’ve kinda been allowing myself to be lazy on the exercise side of a healthy lifestyle. If this is for real though, and Ted seems to be living proof, that one can get incredible results simply with high intensity body weight resistance training to failure a few times a week, it’s like this is to exercise what Keto is to nutrition. In reference to this type of an exercise program Ted makes the following comment in the video “It is incredibly shocking how very little you actually need to get results.” This is exactly the kind of statement I make when trying to describe my success with Keto. I’m pretty down to earth and if I were to graph my outward displays of emotion, the resulting picture would resemble a 9 month weight loss plateau. However, when I talk about Keto, out come comments like… amazing, incredible, awesome, you really just won’t believe it! So, that single sentence in the video has really resonated with me. Although I’ve followed Ted and have been eyeing this for a while, I feel like another piece has clicked into place for me. My notes from the video:
-High intensity, to failure, 3 times per week
-Horizontal Push/Pull
-Overhead Push/Pull
-Squats
-Consistency! (results are slow to notice)
-Nail fat burning. Nail fasting. Nail mitochondria.

(Robin Lea Fritche) #525

I’m over six days into an extended fast (might stop at seven, might go longer) and I’ve been thinking of breaking it with an egg fast, so this thread is very helpful. :smile: