Am I Keto Adapted?!

(Adrienne McKellar Oliver) #1

Hello! Newbie here. Ive been doing keto for about 3.5 weeks. First 3 days I lost 10 lbs then gained 1 lb and have been barely up and down for 2 weeks until yesterday. Yesterday I lost a lb and then today 3 lbs! I haven’t really been tracking my macros since I got used to what was under 20 carbs and Im not limiting fat but I been using the urine keto strips and they’ve been mostly purple until the last couple of days. I also had way more protein the last couple of days and I thought maybe that was why my strips were pink. But then I wake up and Im down 3 lbs… Im wondering if any of you guys have any insite to what might be happening. Have I possibly made the switch?? That would be so cool!

(Allie) #2

The way you feel is a better guide than pee sticks.

http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/

(Adrienne McKellar Oliver) #3

yeah I’ve been feeling pretty crappy: weak, dizzy, unmotivated until yesterday but I did spend the day working in the yard which usually makes me feel better. Too many variables to me to feel confident in what is going on. I’m sure Ill figure it in the next few days or weeks but I got excited seeing the changes out of the blue. Ive been bracing myself to wait 6-8 weeks before results.

(Raj Seth) #4

The healing is just beginning. Enjoy the ride. As long as you are limiting carbs, and you are not dead (check pulse), you are in lipolysis. Maybe not if you are having 5lbs of steak a day, but otherwise - Lipolysis is happening. That is the true goal. Ketones are a byproduct. Additionally, as you get more adapted, you may spill less in your urine and blood ketone levels may also be reduced as the ketones are being utilized and not just hanging around the bloodstream.
All good

As for lethargy and lightheadedness - it’s almost always salt and water

(Ron) #5

You might find this an interesting read.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

Unfortunately I do not think it’s possible to be adapted after 3.5 weeks.
The weight you have lost now is water weight, not actual fat loss.
If you were to eat carbohydates, that weight would come back very quickly.
Typically it can take upwards of 6 weeks to become adapted, longer for some people.

(Adrienne McKellar Oliver) #7

Yeah that makes sense. After the excitement wore off I realized 3 lbs in 1 day is too much to be fat loss. I’ll keep calm and Keto on. Thank you so much for your input!

(Adrienne McKellar Oliver) #8

So when you say “more keto adapted” do you mean that there is sort of a spectrum? That would be interesting, I was thinking of it as a kind of switch that happens at once.

(Ron) #9

Adaption is kind of like a switch when your body starts burning fat instead of glucose…but after that new mechanism is born in the body, it is still in infancy and every day that it is alive it grows and learns how to be more efficient. It continues to mature and grow as long as we keep feeding it a healthy diet. Thus Keto is not a diet but a WOL.:butterfly:

| have been 8 weeks on keto diet with around 25-30 net carbs a day. Tried to water fast now. Had to stop after two days. Felt very weak. I had eaten high carb low fat for 2 years before switching to keto. Perhaps adaption takes longer because of that. It felt like I got low blood pressure and slower metabolism when fasting. Blood pressure follows blood sugar, I think, so that can be related, and I am sensitive and not overweight. 45 years old.

@Davida, two days is nice for a first fast! In case you haven’t done it yet, take a look at some of the fasting threads on here for more info or support. Most people find that they dip their toes into fasting - 24 hrs here and there, then 40 hours - for a while before they want to start longer fasts, and even then it’s usually 2 or 3 days at a time. Along the way you’ll learn a few tips and tricks, and more importantly you’ll learn your own signals.

(Adrienne McKellar Oliver) #12

That’s super interesting to me. Thank you for sharing!