Alternate Day Fasting turned ZC...back to fasting

fasting
exercise
cycling
intermittentfasting

(What The Fast?!) #161

Thanks for this - it was SUPER helpful! :smiley:

(What The Fast?!) #162

New joke in my house - For every pound my b/f loses, I gain a half pound.
#hilarious?

(Linda Culbreth) #163

He probably thinks it’s funnier than you do…

(What The Fast?!) #164

Haha, you would think so! He actually feels bad about it, and I’m lucky that he’s so supportive - he sees the work I’m putting in and knows it’s frustrating.
We were talking this morning and I’ve put no less than 5 people on keto…and every single one has lost weight (except me).

(Doug) #165

#andreabeingtested - likeoldtimebiblicalbeingtestedstuff

(Linda Culbreth) #166

They are fortunate to have you in their lives, yayhowfun! You never know, you might just one day wake up and find all your clothes are saggy baggy!

(What The Fast?!) #167

WELP…for those who are following, prepare for another head-scratcher.

I went to get an updated DEXA scan today.
Since my last DEXA scan (10 weeks ago), I have GAINED 2.2lbs of fat and LOST a half pound of muscle. Most of that fat was added to my trunk, in fact.

Clearly ZC is not the path for me (40 days ZC). Back to the drawing board I go.

…new plan: back to regular keto with restricted protein. I’m giving it another 30-45 days and will test DEXA again. At that point, if I don’t see any improvement, I don’t really know what I’ll do…but after listening to a podcast by Peter Attia this week, it sounds like keto just isn’t for everyone. I’ll have to decide if my NSV’s are worth it (fat-fueled cycling and reduced allergies) or not.

Based on my LBM, I’ll need to restrict protein to 46-68g a day. In order to get enough fat, I’ll probably supplement with olive oil. I took a food allergy test a few years back that said I have a high intolerance to casein (which is in butter), so I may try and cut that out altogether, or at least minimize it by using olive oil. I’m also a hyper-responder, so I think using more unsaturated fats may be a good idea for me as well. @DaveKeto Do you think that’s a good idea?

I’m also adding back in kettlebells, TRX, and am thinking about going back to Crossfit. (I’d given up stressful workouts in favor or cycling and yoga - though my cycling tends to involve a lot of climbing anyway). I really enjoy those workouts, so I figure I may as well do things I enjoy.

I’m also STILL trying to get in to see a gastroenterologist. The DEXA lady feels strongly that digestive issues are a big part of the problem, and based on my bathroom routine (or rather, lack thereof), I agree. I just went back and looked at the last 6 weeks - I went to the bathroom on average twice a week (even with MCT oil). I’ve got to think that this is part of the problem.

I’d love your thoughts!

(Linda Culbreth) #168

Ghee is made from butter but without the proteins, which usually cause the problems… Here’s how I make mine: 2 lbs. buter in my small slow cooker/crockpot. Turn i on and cook for 5-6 hours. The edges will have some brown to it. Let it cool some. Scoop off as much as possible - I use wide mouth quart jar. Then, I filter the rest using a tea strainer that I have lined with a brand new disposable dish cloth. Caution, don’t squeeze or the proteins will come on through. It stays on the counter and can be used anywhere butter can be used.

(Doug) #169

Geez… Andrea, send me 20 lbs. through the Aether

Could be, more fiber - I’m thinking - would mean going more often, and possibly nourish certain beneficial bacteria more. Though you seem almost magically efficient already - makes it hard to lose weight.

Good for you for staying in the hunt, here. Makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

(Chris) #170

Have you considered clarified butter?

(What The Fast?!) #171

I’ll try ghee/clarified butter as well. I also have grass fed beef tallow that is amaaaaaaazing!

Something I was just pondering (as I tend to do)…

Some people say to track everything, so you can see what’s working and what’s not.
Some people say to RELAX and stop tracking, but it creates more stress.

I definitely think I’m more stressed out by tracking, but at the same time, I want that DATA!! I’m starting to write everything down in my phone, instead of putting it MFP. This way, I have the data and can go log all the food AFTER the day is done, but not seeing the actual grams won’t allow me to adjust throughout the day, right? But then…how do you keep protein in check? I need to stay under 68g…which BTW, after doing ZC with unlimited protein, is hard! I can’t just make a half pound burger for lunch anymore (44g of protein, in case you’re wondering).

These are the things that occupy my brain space all day…

How about picking a few favorite meals and calculating those so that you know that on normal days you’ll naturally stay in your protein range? (then you can save the more meal-to-meal tracking for when you go out?).

I can’t believe your latest DEXA results. I think I groaned out loud when I read that post. I’m sorry, Andrea - you’ve been so incredibly diligent. But I’m eager to see results from meeting with a gastroenterologist or someone who can help you tackle the digestion/elimination aspect. That does seem like the natural next step.

[I suppose the good news for you- if you want to think of this way - is that you’ll outlive us all in a famine! Your body really knows how to hang onto its precious fuel stores, and I’m sure you’d be going strong when everyone else is wilting…]

(What The Fast?!) #173

Hahahaha, YES! It sure does!! Thanks for the positive thoughts!

I’m trying to take it all in stride…

On the positive side, the DEXA lady did tell me that I have a lot of muscle for my frame. So like…that’s good news. :smiley:

I keep thinking - okay, when I figure this out…the weight is going to MELT off me!!

(Doug) #174

Exactly - you could kick somebody’s butt! And eventually, this plateau deal will get smushed like a dang grape.

(What The Fast?!) #175

Oh also - I went to kettlebells class yesterday for the first time in about 4-5 weeks…and MAN oh MAN am I sore today!! The class kicked my butt (literally); I could definitely tell I took a month off! I can’t wait to get “back in the swing…” (har har har)

I’m headed out to NYC for a few days for work starting tomorrow (will probably fast tomorrow since it’s a travel day); I’m hoping to use the hotel gym while I’m there. (Wish me luck with client dinners and happy hours!) Then I’m staying with family for a few days after that in NorCal, so will have to improvise workouts. Eating keto shouldn’t be difficult though I imagine this whole “testing foods one at a time” will go out the window REAL fast. :joy:

(Doug) #176

:smile: Good luck… :wink:

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #177

Good luck, travel will screw up plans all the time!

(Dave) #178

Hi Again, Andrea!

Sorry to hear you’re still going through so many of these different attempts without yet finding your bullseye. However…

… I really do agree with you that something really big could be here. GI issues can really screw with everything (and in some cases, in a really bad way). At a minimum, it can suggest imporoper absorption of nutrients and/or a dysfunctional biome, of course. If you’re going this infrequently and it manifests as constipation (as opposed just being infrequent, yet normal), then I’d put this issue at the top of your list.

(What The Fast?!) #179

Thanks! I’ve been going crazy trying to get into this specific GI doctor because she’s also keto.
I had to go see a regular doctor first for a referral and now she’s on vacation and I can’t schedule til she’s back…our healthcare system is so annoying.

I’m really happy to hear that you agree this may be the issue. Thanks @DaveKeto!
Only question I have for you is - wouldn’t improper absorption also affect my energy levels and/or sleep? Both are great.
Oh - and the original question I had for you - what do you think about focusing more on unsaturated fats like olive oil and avocado oil, rather than saturated, since I’m a hyper-responder?

Do you use salt, and does it contain sodium? After reading an article yesterday, I am hot footing to Walmart to get Mortons salt substitute.