Alternate Day Fasting turned ZC...back to fasting

fasting
exercise
cycling
intermittentfasting

(What The Fast?!) #21

Thanks for the thoughts. I got a DEXA a couple weeks ago and plan to get one 3 months from now to see if there’s any improvement!

(What The Fast?!) #22

How long is your extended fast?

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #23

Well, I kind of stumbled into this, I was traveling for work, feeling horrible, eating carbs. I was listening to Tim ferris, Podcast in IF, fasting, and brain enhancement http://tim.blog/2017/05/04/smart-drugs-fasting-and-fat-loss/

while working out at gym. I stumbled on 2 keto dudes and binge listened for days.

I decided it was easy to fast while traveling for work cause I keep busy and save money. 5 days in head home and feel better though not perfect. I’m home for 3 days and back on road for 4th so stayed on. I read dr fongs book and this forum and podcasts, for support. The salt fix was the perfect episode as I’ve been taking a lot of salt I bought and reading the book.

I figured I would do 2 weeks I think it was recommended as therapeutic, but now I am on day 17 and going strong.

After 2 weeks I felt amazing I think it was the carbs and I workout Every day, that helps. Now I am good for as long as I want to. I did need to cook food for family and taste things, but I found a way to spit it out without issue it gross factor, funny thing is after tasting things, they taste completely different it is so weird. After the first couple tastes I gave up and had my daughter be the taster.

The first two weeks was tough and slept a lot, drank a lot of water / supplements and was lethargic, but after 2 weeks I had boundless energy and found I could control everything I had a tendency to just do, watching TV or playing games.

I travel to a place I used to live and day before I fasted I saw my doctor / friend, to make sure it was OK. He said I’m in “good health” and if I feel bad in any way to stop, also he said let friends and family know so if I have issues they know. The big one was he said drink water and salt was good too, if hunger it pains persist then reconsider, it always helped so I’m going strong.

17 days and counting. BTW I am/was about 38% body fat so I’ve got plenty of fat to spare, if I had less I might reconsider going so long.

Sorry for such a long post but it might add some context.

(What The Fast?!) #24

I love the context!! That’s amazing!! Keep me updated!

(What The Fast?!) #25

Update: after a long bike ride, I find my ketones stay high (over 1.2 or so) for a day or so after, unless I really do something wrong. I also notice that I’m super hungry the day after. Since I do them on Saturdays, it works out well, because I can feast Sat/Sun before my ADF starts again Monday.

PS The brisket did NOT turn out very good…I smoked it for several hours but because it was over 100F outside, the smoker got too hot and cooked it too fast, it was pretty leathery, which is a shame because it was a grass fed brisket!

(What The Fast?!) #26

Monday update: feasted over the weekend, did a 33 mile bike ride Saturday and a hot yoga class Sunday. Today is a fasting day, I did a 15 mile bike ride this morning.

I’m up 2.5 lbs since the beginning of this week, was really hoping that ADF would end in a net loss this week. :frowning: On the positive side (and TMI alert), my digestion situation is getting much better after implementing increased sodium, increased magnesium, and taking digestive enzymes with each meal.

For some context, my weight this morning was 149.9, which is about a pound heavier than when I started keto in late March. No inches lost, clothes aren’t fitting looser yet. I’m feeling really discouraged but I’m going to give ADF a few weeks to see if I experience improvements.

oof - that’s frustrating, though I’m glad to see your digestion is better. I’m curious to see how the next few weeks go for you.

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

Sounds like your body is starting to heal itself. Give it time.

Are you tracking on MFP or some other carb/nutrition tracking app? Just doing that for a few weeks can really show you what you are doing vs. what you think you are doing. I failed so many times because I would not track. MFP really helped me see the reality of my choices. I have learned a lot from tracking. I recently have stopped tracking, but I am going to be starting to record everything again. Also weighing portions etc. Not for the calories but to make sure I am getting enough fats and protein vs. guessing I am. I also think it will help keep carb creep at bay.

(What The Fast?!) #29

Yep, I track. It’s tough sometimes if we eat out. Like, last night I went to a Thai restaurant, but they’re known for accommodating by not using sugar in their dishes if you ask for it.

Most days I don’t eat out though, and I’m good about tracking everything.

I think it has more to do with me adding a TON of magnesium (5-6 150mg pills a day) and taking the digestive enzymes. Incidentally, I’m still bloated after every meal. …womp womp. I eat a lot of salads, so I may need to cut back on that and see if it helps with bloating.

(What The Fast?!) #30

One thing I’m noticing during a fast - I feel very foggy. I don’t feel “present” during conversations and when I’m doing video calls for work, I feel like I’m having a hard time connecting with people, focusing on them, etc. It’s been like this for all of the fasts I’ve done so far. Does anyone else experience this? @JorgePasada Did you feel like this is at all in the beginning of your fasting experiment? I know that you said you have incredible mental clarity now, I’m wondering if it’s something I need to “bust through.”

@gatita I know you’ve been doing ADF for awhile now too.

(Crow T. Robot) #31

Hmm, were you in ketosis prior to starting? The only time I ever feel “meh” during a fast is when I have to get back into ketosis. If so, maybe you need salt? Either way, it will get easier with repetition.

(What The Fast?!) #32

Yep, in ketosis (monitoring with a breathalyzer and every so often blood). Loaded up on salt.

Actually I never felt this way until today’s fast. I was aiming for about 20 hours but cut it short at 18 because I just felt hungry and fuzzy. I drank a caffeinated beverage and am now barely “waking up” at 6:30 pm.

The only difference is that now I am no longer drinking BPCs and broth with cream. Not sure why that would affect my mental clarity…

I’ve been doing this for more than five weeks and until today always felt extra clear-headed on fasting days. Not like super-smart, but just clear and with a distinct feeling of…hmm, how to describe it? Optimism? Being content?

Not sure why you always feel fuzzy or why I did today… any experts out there want to chime in?

(What The Fast?!) #34

Have you had good results from ADF? I don’t know what your goals are for fasting, so good results can mean a lot of things? Also are you doing 24 or 36 hours?

(What The Fast?!) #35

Shoot!! One of the NSV’s I’ve had since going keto is that my allergies had MAJORLY improved. I used to get allergy attacks several times a week and haven’t had any major ones since going keto…until this week. All of a sudden, they’re back. :frowning: No changes in diet.

(What The Fast?!) #36

Update: after yesterday morning’s bike ride and fasting all day, I woke up to these stats:
BG: 56
Ketones: 4.0
Weight: 148.6

That’s the lowest my BG has been (don’t know if that part matters as it’s usually in the healthy range) and the highest my ketones have ever been!

(If you’re wondering, I don’t always test but I LOVE the data.)

(Karl L) #37

That looks delicious, but a little light on the bacon, don’t you think? Or, did you already eat it?

(What The Fast?!) #38

Haha, I only had one piece. It was from a restaurant so I wasn’t sure how much sugar it was cured with and also my protein macro is low so unless I want to skip eggs, I have to skimp on the bacon. :rage:

(Karl L) #39

That’s so sad!
You’ve been working hard, I hope this fasting protocol gives you the results you’re looking for.

(What The Fast?!) #40

Me too!! Thanks for the encouragement!