Alternate Day Fasting turned ZC...back to fasting

fasting
exercise
cycling
intermittentfasting

(What The Fast?!) #1

I’m starting an Alternate Day Fasting (ADF) routine and I wanted to keep track of it here for anyone else who’s interested in ADF.

I started keto 3 and a half-ish months ago and aside from NSV’s like improved allergies and being able to cycle without fueling, haven’t had any results (physical results - weight loss, inches lost, etc). However, with the help of people on this forum, I’m starting to dial in where my potential issues may be (magnesium deficiency, digestion issues, etc). After reading both of Dr Fung’s books - Obesity Code and Complete Guide to Fasting - and being inspired by @meganjramos advice on multiple podcasts, I believe that implementing longer fasts will FINALLY help me to lose weight! I’ve done a couple 3 day (ish) fasts, and do 16:8 most days, but I think doing ADF on MWF every week, plus an extended fast here and there may do the trick. I’ve cut out weight training for now and am doing simply yoga (active/vinyasa/strength building, not passive) and cycling, each 2-3 days/week, for a total of 6-9 hours of working out a week depending on the length of my rides, plus fascia blasting.

My stats:
34 yo
BF 31.5% (recent DEXA)
Fasting BG: 70
Fasting Insulin: 2.2
Triglycerides: 96
LBM: 97lbs

I started earlier this week with a 36 hour fast on Tues/Wed, and am fasting today. Tomorrow, I’ll have a keto coffee in the morning and do a 26-30 mile bike ride before eating any protein.

I’m REALLY hopeful that this “protocol” helps me drive the results I’m looking for!! @DaveKeto - I’m going to keep you in the loop, you’ve been so helpful in interpreting my lab results and helping me solve this puzzle!

Thanks for posting this, I’m looking forward to your updates.

(What The Fast?!) #3

It’s also good accountability for me to maintain the ADF schedule. :slight_smile:

(Michelle) #4

On the days that you are feasting, are you eating enough to make your body know you aren’t starving?

(What The Fast?!) #5

@MKChitown Ohhh yes! I’m going to do 60ish grams protein and fat to satiety. Yesterday I had about 73g protein (I hadn’t decided on a protein limit until I read @Brenda’s post yesterday) and 129 fat, total around 1700 cals. I was about 45g total carbs, 30 net - a little over but not worried about one day. (This is me not stressing out…see???) :grimacing:Most days I’m under 25g carbs total but I had ripe avocados in the house yesterday.

I did a 17 mile ride yesterday morning and burned about 750 cals. (There are NO flat rides where I live…)

(What The Fast?!) #6

Actually, probably 50-75g of protein, depending on the day.

(Michelle) #7

Wow, 1700 calories for 2 days and doing 17 mile ride… Your body may go into starvation mode. To me, that doesn’t seem like enough calories. Just be careful of the whole slowing down your metabolism thing!! That is a thing!!

(What The Fast?!) #8

But I ate that all yesterday. When I was trying to follow macros, I was eating around 1300-1400, so 1700 calories on a feast day is actually more than I would usually eat. Based on the Fasting Talk podcasts and Complete Guide To Fasting, it’s alright to eat a little more than usual, but there’s no need to double the calories on feasting days. By eating more on feasting days, you drive up your metabolism. On fasting days, your body is indeed eating, it’s just eating from fat stores, so there’s no need to replace those calories on feasting days. (I’m pretty sure I’m understanding this correctly…but if I’m not, someone please let me know!)

As far as exercise - I’ve asked @richard about this and he says not to worry about “replacing” calories from your workout, just eat normally.

(Michelle) #9

Ok!! good luck!! I will, of course, be following your journey!

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

I bookmarked this so I can follow along. I am just mixing up fasting these days. I do some IF days 16/8, some 24 hr. and some extended fasts.

Starting to do extended fasts, end of Feb. is what got me to my goal weight in April. I am trying to learn what will help me maintain my loss.

Good luck on your Journey, can’t wait to see the results.

(James storie) #11

I’ve been toying with this same idea. I’m not going to say I’ll join you, but I might try!

(Rebecca) #12

I’ll be following your journey with interest. I haven’t done any fasting besides some IF, I am worried I won’t be able to cope with it as I get hungry a lot, but I think it is the next step as I have what I call a stall but it isn’t really as I have put on some weight as well as cm’s. I have had some falls of the wagon which hasn’t helped but am getting back up and sticking to stricter keto. I need to get Dr Fung’s books and read up on them.

(Dave) #13

Cool – it will be interesting to see how it goes. :wink:

Me too… but not ready to commit just yet!

(What The Fast?!) #15

@jamestorie @gatita …believe me, if i can do it, you can do it. :slight_smile: you have both had great results so far!

(James storie) #16

It’s more a mental thing for me right now! I’ve had a lot of success with EF anywhere from 3 days to 7. I’m at the point where my body is fighting back! I still have about 20 pounds I’d like to loose to achieve my life long dream of being comfortable at the pool/beach! Plus, I’d really like to break the habit of eating to satisfy my mind. I often eat a meal and then reflect that I wasn’t even hungry to begin with!

(What The Fast?!) #17

I did my first fully fasted ride this morning. 33 miles, 32 hours fasted, 1400 feet of climbing, 1500 calories burned. I had 1T of MCT oil in coffee and was on my way. My b/f said he could definitely tell that my performance was not up to par. I rode slower than usual and didn’t have the power I usually do. @richard - does it take awhile to get used to fasted rides? I’m trying to find the balance between athletic performance and weight loss…it seems to be a very wobbly line to walk! :wink:

This is the summer of n=1 for me, I can’t wait to try more fasted riding and more keto cycling experiments.

PS I’m smoking a brisket today for dinner tonight!

(Karl L) #18

I’m intrigued!

(What The Fast?!) #19

I was about to make bacon and eggs at home but ended up being forced to go to breakfast. Broke my fast with an avocado omelet. Bad news: I don’t know the macro content of this meal. Good news: it was delicious.

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #20

I just wanted to add that keto can build muscle while burning fat, so part if you not losing some weight could be muscle mass improving. Just another part that you might want to know.

I’ve been fasting and building muscle, it is interesting cause I gain weight some weeks. I’m looking forward to a dexa scan to see actual results here in a couple of months.

Since I just started strong lifts program, I think I’m getting the noobie gains people get when they start, I hope it continues.

I’m planning on doing alternate fasting here in a couple weeks after my extended fast is done. Looking forward to your updates.