10 weeks and no weight loss!

newbies

(Maxwell) #42

There is not much of a difference between being knocked out of Ketosis and producing such a low level of them that you aren’t losing weight.

For all intents and purposes, if you aren’t losing weight, it doesn’t matter if you have a negotiable amount of ketones.

Insulin is the main driver of Obesity. If you see a Glucose Reading that is spiked up to 100 you know INSULIN is on board and your body is burning Glucose – not Fat-- and perhaps, even storing fat. (whether it’s storing fat depends on the state of your particular metabolism)

If you get your Glucose low enough, i.e., low 80’s – 70’s you’re burnt through your Glycogen and your body has switched to burning Fat.

Can’t burn Glucose and Fat at the same time. It’s one or the other.

Just being technically in Ketosis is not good enough if your body isn’t responding by losing weight. You’re got to find out what is preventing you from producing enough Ketones for your body to respond by burning fat.

It’s possible to be deeply in Ketosis and not drop pounds every day or every week, but the person who was asking the question said she was not losing any weight and hadn’t for a long time. That means there’s insulin on board, which in turn is knocking down her level of Ketones to such a low level as to prevent the burning of fat.

There are more than 3 episodes on the Obesity Code Podcast where someone had lost a lot of weight, but was stalling out at the last lap and Megan had to find out what was in their diet that was causing the stall.

It was always something teeny, seemingly harmless but their body was stalling. Also, I heard Megan on a separate video on the IDM website talk about sweeteners often getting in the way of weight loss.

(TJ Borden) #43

That’s just not true. First of all, 100 isn’t generally a “spike”, and second, there are many factors outside of your ketone level that affect weight loss, and switching to burning fat isn’t necessarily dependent on maintaining high ketone levels.

(Maxwell) #44

I disagree with all 3 of your assertions.

(TJ Borden) #45

Okay. Then explain to me how after being T2D, I still maintain a 110-120 fasting blood glucose level and have lost 60 lbs in 6 months. Based on your assertions, with my blood glucose that high, I haven’t been in ketosis and I’m still burning carbs for energy and I haven’t been burning any fat. I should also add, I eat a mostly carnivore diet, typically consuming less then 10 grams of total carbs per day.

(Ron) #46

I am also T2D and never see under 100 fasting blood glucose and also lost 50 lbs in 4 months. My ketone readings regularly say I am in .08 to 2.6 levels. I would respectfully be interested in your explanation as well?

(icky) #47

I think you’re making really valid points about how toothpaste sweeteners can be a concern for some people and about how even tiny amounts of sweeteners/ insulin responses can affect WEIGHT LOSS for some people.

I get the impression that you’re getting yourself a bit confused re ketosis, ketones, BG, insulin etc. and muddling those concepts up.

(Jack Brien) #48

Glucose v fat burning is a sliding scale, not mutually exclusive.

(Edith) #49

There is also glucose sparing that goes on. Once the muscles start getting their energy from fat, the glucose gets “spared “ for the bodily functions that need it. I think that can make blood glucose a little higher. I heard that originally on Keto Talk. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

(Maxwell) #50

what am I confusing?

(Consensus is Politics) #51

I believe that is true, but may be misleading. I can be ketogenic and burn glucose. I would have to. The liver creates glucose on the fly for organs that require it, like the brain. Every morning I awake in a relatively high blood glucose state. Lately my morning BG has been around 110. It drops very rapidly. Within an hour it’s back down to the 70’s. Since this happens everyday, and as far as I can tell I’m never out of ketosis (defined as feeling hungry, for carbs). My fat burning is still working, based on ketones in urine, actually trace amounts. Since I’m eating zero carbs (less than 1 to 10 grams per day most likely counting leafy greens), my energy use must be coming from ketones made by fat.

Once the body gets into ketosis, it will switch back and forth as it needs to. Several times a day. Although I’m pretty sure the amount of carbs will make a difference. If I eat a large amount of carbs, say 100 grams or more, my body will probably do a switch back to glucose burning. I may not get back into ketosis for a few days. I’ll probably feel like crap for the next few days as well.

The issue with sweeteners causing insulin response is probably akin to Pavlov’s dog. The brain got used to the sweet signal as a sudden BG increase, so it knows it’s going to need to release insulin. As mentioned, everyone responds differently to these sweeteners. Most of them taste bitter to me. I’m still testing which ones work out for me. I can really only tell by if I’m losing any weight over night. N=1 in progress.

As was stated, when insulin is present, glucose gets used, fat burning gets shut off, fat storage gets turned on. Excess glucose gets stored as fat, fat gets stored as fat. Hence the reason the first question asked when someone says they aren’t losing weight is, “what, how much, how often?”

(Miranda ) #52

Basically, I’m more confused now since you all seem to have conflicting opinions.

I have not been testing my blood glucose. What is the cheapest way to do this?
I’ve only been using keto strips.

I have been eating stevia and cream on a daily basis and starting to think these may be the culprits. My toothpaste is colegate…

(Miranda ) #53

I’m going to do the avocado fast tomorrow and hopefully for atleast a couple days (it’s recommended to do 5). I did a one day avo fast before and was in ketosis the next morning.

(Miranda ) #54

I use the pee strips and they are on the very low range. I thought once I’m in ketosis, I"ll be fat-adapted instantly. Aren’t they the same thing?

(TJ Borden) #55

No. Ketosis can happen in days, fat adaptation takes several week, often 6-8.

(Miranda ) #56

I get low blood sugar very easily- does that mean that it’s more likely that I’ll react to cream or stevia? I guess the only way to test is take a glucose test which I have yet to do.

(Miranda ) #57

Ok- so I’ve got a ways to go if I’m not even in ketosis! Meanwhile I’m drinking heavy cream blended with berries and stevia…and going no where. : ( That needs to stop!

(Miranda ) #58

Can it take over two months? Because that’s where I’m heading…
I should note that I’m not counting carbs and can estimate that I’m eating between 20-40. Can I ‘get away’ with eating more carbs and just enter into ketosis more slowly? Or does it really have to been under 20?

I’m not in ketosis because the urine test strips say so and I’m still tired and fat. Not burning anything.
I think I need to measure my glucose levels to see what’s going on…

(Miranda ) #59

How can I find out if I’m insulin resistant?

(Chris W) #60

A doctor can run a glucose response test.
Net carbs of under 20g pretty much is a solid way to get into and stay ketosis. However some people can be sensitive above that range.

(Ron) #61

These might help you understand-