I have made this one twice ;)

(Denise) #22

I like how you got your cream and egg to stay more on top!! This looks like such a professional job!!

GREAT job and I can taste it now :wink: yumyum!! PS did you not cook your bacon first Alec? I mean before adding it to GB? I think you did, mine maybe was a bit over-cooked I think.

(Alec) #23

Denise
Yes, I did, but not too much. I usually pre-cook bacon before I put it into any mixed dish, but not to a crisp, let’s call it half cooked.

The bacon was a decent replacement for the beans in the original recipe, it was a layer above the ground beef. I should have done a bit more bacon I think… next time.

Thank you for suggesting this excellent recipe: sometimes I get stuck in a carni rut food-wise (steak, lamb and pork), and it is good to do some different recipes from time to time.

(Bob M) #24

I really want to make a version of this, but my wife is foregoing dairy for a while. Can’t figure out what to use for cheese and cream…

(Denise) #25

You’re totally welcome, I’m glad for this recipe too since I wanted to get something a bit less expensive like Gr. Beef, and then have a dish to last me several servings :wink:

Ok, so yes, layering the bacon makes sense to keep the egg and cream to form more of a top layer. And for me to not cook my bacon too long as the oven will cook it quite a bit if it’s preheated, and I can leave the dish in for the full cooking time. Thanks again Aleq!

(Jane) #26

How much bacon did you add?

(Denise) #27

I figure you can add what you like, I think I overwhelmed mine a bit, which @PaulL has zero problem with that part of the recipe :joy: But, I used just half a package of thick cut, can’t recall the brand. My fave bacon, btw, is called Hills and I used to always get it at Fred Meyer when I lived in Oregon, no Freddies close enough to shop often down here.

I don’t usually enjoy just ground beef, but this dish really surprised me :wink:

(Alec) #28

Not enough… I cut up about 3 small rashers. Next time I am doubling that. Bacon always looks large uncooked, and shrinks dramatically on cooking. I am often deceived!

(Jane) #29

I like green beans so added a few to the top - not even half a can.

Was good!

(Jane) #30

Will freeze for another meal (where I don’t have to cook!)

I usually freeze on a tray, then vacuum seal the frozen mass so it doesn’t crush the food. It still gets all the air out to prevent freezer burn.

(Robin) #31

I like the idea of adding cream cheese.

(Robin) #32

You’re a much more accommodating spouse than I am. My husband eats crap… frozen or from a box and ALL the snacks.
We shop separately , cook separately and usually eat separately.
He is a consistent breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert guy.

I may not eat till 2pm but will often eat a huge amount, enough to last.
Thankfully, he was a bachelor for many years before we met and doesn’t expect me to change.

Oh it would help with my IF and other things if we ate separately… But I love eating lunch together. It probably wouldn’t be so if my SO would eat unhealthy for him, though. I would comment a lot (no matter what my views are about freedom and individuals, I couldn’t see him eating crap) and he would get mad.
We shop together but often separate in big supermarkets, I look at the sausages while he grabs his grains and vegs :slight_smile:

But I came to talk about the food. Well, my goals with it. The day finally comes and I will make… Not this, exactly as I have no ruminant meat but something vaguely similar with pork. I only will use spices, not garlic or onion let alone green beans.
I don’t think spices are needed as all the main ingredients are very tasty but I have spices and variety is nice. I will use my muffin mold as usual so there will be spicy and non-spicy ones alike.

So hopefully photos will come later today!

Oh I will use cream cheese as I never tried that with my quiches and I have a lot of it now!

I wondered about using the smoked cooked pork belly I realized I have (only a little and it disappears quickly) but it wouldn’t be so very apparent among everything, it can shine so much better if I put it into my scrambled eggs… Or just grab and eat with a boiled egg. And my bacon is for other purposes. Maybe I put some dry sausage into a few. If I will have much more smoked pork, I use it next time.

(Bob M) #34

Isn’t the phrase “happy wife, happy life”? :grinning:

I rarely have issues with food, though lately I’ve been having an issue quitting eating chocolate before bed. But others aren’t as fortunate, and my wife is one of those. She needs structure and help. And eating dairy free has helped her to lose weight and get near a low she hasn’t hit in a while. So, I’m not going to derail her.

She said we could make this for me and the kids, but then she’d be eating something different. We’re trying to get our kids to try everything, and I don’t want to encourage us to be able to eat different foods, as the kids would eat pasta and nothing else. They would eat complete garbage and no meat if we’d let them. (As would I: Pizza, ice cream, beer.)

(Denise) #35

Meetoo @ctviggen, but maybe knowing what I know now about feeling so good, I wouldn’t actually want to :slight_smile: I hope :slight_smile: Not that I don’t miss the days I could eat lots of things that truly were fun to eat and drink. Just spells disaster for some, and can that sort of eating that got me seeking out help here on the forum :wink:

(Bob M) #36

I agree with you. While I’d love to eat pizza and ice cream, and drink beer, I don’t because I know what happens to me when I do. I will have pizza and ice cream a handful or so times per year, but that’s it.

Oh it seems I haven’t sent this but now I finally made a photo of some leftovers…

We ate most of the food before a photo and the leftover isn’t very photogenic either I think… But I made it and it was nice. I still prefer just making meatless quiche and simple meat dishes, I still can eat them together if I want…

The cream cheese didn’t make a big difference (I did quiche before and I extrapolate from that experience), I will keep that to spread on my sponge cake buns and use cream or sour cream next time! Plenty of meat was left so I make something similar again. I didn’t even use 300g meat, probably (I had way more but I only used my mold for 12 muffins) but it needed 4 eggs and lots of cheese. I like it eggy, obviously :slight_smile: But after eating it, I can imagine a bit meatier version :smiley: My SO promptly ate half of the whole stuff, of course with lots of rice and vegs and had a dessert too. The recipe talks about 12 servings, those must be some super tiny party ones or for people who eat like birds! :smiley: Looking at the ingredients, it is a substantial meal for one and pretty decent for 2 too. I can even imagine eating less than that but not 1/12th. Each to their own, I know but if I make a meat or egg dish, I tend to use it as food, not accent…

A good point of this dish that it has everything I normally eat: meat, egg, dairy :slight_smile:
I made different versions (even 2 meatless ones), my SO loved the one with spice (but now that I think about it, I put paprika into the meat+pork skin anyway so all had spice that had meat), the mustard ones were nice too… But we can use it on top if we feel the need, I don’t feel it important enough to put it into all. I made two mustard+tomato+black pepper ones as the recipe had tomato and I do like tomato or did, I don’t desire it ever nowadays… Not bad, not needed. So the non-carni ingredients can be totally ignored for my SO and I. Even the paprika isn’t strictly needed but it’s good I guess…
But all this experience is for the pork version I did, one day I should try it with ruminant meat (not necessarily beef, I prefer deer or mutton if I can get them).

So, I have a photo now and I probably will make a new batch tomorrow! I try to stick more to the original recipe (except I use pork again and no plants except some spice. oh and of course I used lard, not olive oil) but if I can’t stand its look with that tiny amount of egg, I will use more :wink:

The sunshine helped with its looks :slight_smile:

(Robin) #38

Breaking news. I baked this!
Basic; burger, bacon, eggs with heavy cream and topped with sharp cheddar.
Oh my gosh, so good. I even shared with hubby… gasp! He added salsa on top.

Now I made - not exactly this but a pork version twice too :slight_smile:
Today I followed the original amounts (well, ratios as I only had half of the meat… and I used a tad more cheddar as I had slices and I won’t put back half a slice when the dish easily can handle it…) but skipped all the vegs. The result looked tiny but it was successful again, my SO really enjoyed it, ate half of it with his usual additions. I will make a bigger amount next time. Double of the original sounds pretty good, just the original without vegs is small, I have bigger oven pans than that and more food is better :smiley: We always liked to cook for multiple days, people who can’t eat the same food for days, they aren’t us. Both my SO and I like some variety but not that kind… (And we don’t have ONE dish per day anyway, the others bring enough variety. Or the days when we make some other main dish.) I wonder how long this thing last but it’s freezable as so many carni dish so no problem at all!
It must be nice with ruminant meat… Oh well, it will happen one day. We will go to the nearby big city in January (and will visit a hypermarket with an impressive enough meat selection, we don’t always do that) so we can get some. (The local villages and small towns only have fowl, pork and very little fish. Even the butchers don’t have ruminant meat.)